How long before seeking dr's help?

imphope

Reaction score
Hi friends. I'm wondering how long to try before seeking an appt. with my gyn? It's early for me ( on cycle 2) but I'm 33 in a couple weeks and we don't want to wait the standard 12 months before seeking medical help. I am temping and testing and doing everything 'by the book' so in light of that info, how many cycles would you try before making the call?

Hi imphope,
Well they say that if you are 35+ you should see the Dr after 6 months of trying. I think you could probably be seen around 6 months if you have your charts showing well-timed BD etc... Hopefully they could at least start with some blood work at that point.
Hope you don't need to wait that long, though ;)

We waited a year and the dr asked why we didn't come after 6 months. You have to be a little insistent that they do start tests but I wouldn't wait more than 6 months x

I've been off birth control since last spring, just NTNP for like 6 cycles, then started making a real effort with OPKs/temping around Sept/Oct 2013. We are in cycle 5 now of really trying: well-timed intercourse, I know my cycle days, I have ovulation pain and I know it coincides with OPK positive and temp change.
Still no BFP.
I have a family history of endometriosis (my sister had a huge endometrioma and lost her right ovary/tube at age 27).
I'm going to a fertility doctor this Tuesday. Given the family history, and that I KNOW we are having intercourse leading up to ovulation, I think it's time. 12-13 cycles of unprotected intercourse usually gets you a BFP. Personally, I think the "rule" is 12 months under age 35 and 6 months over age 35. But if you have something to be concerned about, I think at 33 you should go after 6 cycles. less than age 35 is a big range, and 33 is not the same as 23.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->