How long did you baby wear for?

lovelylaura

3 little girls
Reaction score
Is it something that's possible to do until they want to walk? I presume it is but I just wondered how realistic that is? I plan on doing it until em is 1 then going from there but just thought I'd see how far everyone did/is doing it for.

i still carry my son and he is about to turn 2. he's been walking since before he was one but they get tired easily.

I still babywear my 18m old, he can walk just fine. But let me tell you, it is WAY easier to walk around the store with him safely on my back than running around getting into everything!

Still occasionally carry our almost 4 year old. Just see it as a different type of piggy back tbh. And kids have them until they're pretty big!

Still babywearing my almost 2 year old even though she has been walking for a long time. Sometimes it's just more efficient, especially since toddlers don't walk fast!

I only started this year when my kids were 3 and 14 months!

There is no need to stop at all just because they can walk. Mine both walked at 11 months and both enjoy being carried. Sophie is 2 next month and Thomas is 4 the month after.

They call it a back cuddle and Sophie gets excited when she sees the carrier come out.

Oh I know I'm not planning on just letting her walk everywhere as soon as she learns my 2 year old takes long enough let alone an 1 year old. But I just wondered if I'll get to point where I need a pushchair say for long walks or because they have just got too heavy? Good to know most of you are still doing it until 2 though, I doubt Emily will want to be carried past that though as both my girls wanted to walk all the time just before they turned two.

I still carry my daughter who is over 2stone/13kg.

Depending on what sling you use you may need something bigger or more supportive.

Oh I know I'm not planning on just letting her walk everywhere as soon as she learns my 2 year old takes long enough let alone an 1 year old. But I just wondered if I'll get to point where I need a pushchair say for long walks or because they have just got too heavy? Good to know most of you are still doing it until 2 though, I doubt Emily will want to be carried past that though as both my girls wanted to walk all the time just before they turned two.

I use a stroller interchangeably with babywearing. It is HOT here, so I sometimes use the stroller in the summer. No reason you can't do both if you end up needing the stroller occasionally. It's not because he's too heavy, it's because it gets too hot carrying him sometimes.

It's funny DS will want to get out of the STROLLER and walk, but he's never expressed a desire to get out of the carrier and walk.

If you carry often, you just get used to their weight. If you've never carried before and suddenly try hiking with a 3 year old on your back, you may well run into problems. But if you do it reasonably regularly, your body just gets stronger :) my eldest was only in a pushchair about 5 times, the last of which was at about 8 months when my mom took him for a walk while we painted our new flat. My youngest has never been in a pushchair!

I carried my son until he got too heavy, at around 3.5 yrs. I'm currently carrying my dd but she's only 1.

A pushchair has it's place (like when you do the school run, knowing your LO will fall asleep, so you don't have to try and transfer them off your snuggly back!.... Always results in screaming disaster in our house!) But when you're on a walk and lo is wanting to walk bits it is soooo much easier not having to negotiate a pushchair AND hold lo's hand at the same time :)

Thanks! Emily's only been in a pushchair twice since she was born and that was because my husband took her out. So hopefully I won't really notice how heavy she'll be at 2!

Thomas is around 18kg/40lbs and I find him easier to wear than Sophie (12.8kg/28lbs).

He uses his legs and arms to stabilise himself better I guess? He doesn't feel any heavier than Sophie does. I only do back carries though, I wouldn't want him or her on my front.

I stopped when I in my 2nd trimester of pregnant because I didn't want to put the weight on my front. I actually did wear her on my back last week though... anyway, she's almost 2. You can wear them for a long time. Owen still uses the carrier to get her to nap even.

My guy is almost 3 and we still wear all the time. Yes he *wants* to walk everywhere but if he's not going to listen and I don't feel like arguing with a toddler and causing meltdowns in stores etc, it's so much easier to toss him on my back, get those errands done and get out stress free! So yah, wearing at different ages can be done for different reasons but it is definitely still useful when they're older :)

I carry my son for 2 years. It's really easier to go somewhere else with your child carrying him. But don't often do that. Just occasionally.

Yes you can continue babywearing even when they can walk. I recently wore my 2.5 year old when we were travelling as had a lot of luggage to carry and it made things so much easier to wear her so I had my hands free to carry things!

My son would still ask to go in the sling until just past his 4th birthday. He's a little guy and was right about 35 lbs at that age.

https://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m602/tulip1uk/Baby%20Bagel/20141005_131839_zpscx0trjlk.jpg

DS1 is almost 4. I don't often carry him now but he was tired and a bit poorly. He was carried probably once a week until DS2 was born (we used to live at the top of a hill).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->