How long did you breastfeed

xmummyxx

Reaction score
How long did you breastfeed I am still bf my lb he is 1 my friends are telling me to stop now he is older
Thanks

I fed till 27months. It's a very individual choicethough, but it's one only you can make and your friends should have nothing to do with it.

I found it really useful for a few reasons:

LO started day care at 1yr and caught lots of bugs in the first few months, so her eating went right down and breastfeeding helped keep her nourished and hydrated - it is the perfect rehydration solution during tummy upsets.

Starting dare care meant we were separated for the first time. Breastfeeding was a chance to reconnect, and we both really needed and cherished that feed.

It calmed her through teething

She still needed it nutritionally - she was eating huge portions of food and still needed proper breastfeeds in between because she was going through a massive growth spurt at the time.

My son turned two this month and we still are nursing twice a day. It's culturally normal to stop breastfeeding at one, but the truth is its biologically normal to breastfeed into toddlerhood. Nurse for as long as you are happy with the arrangement and try not to listen to outsiders. I know easier said then done, but I am very happy to still be nursing, and I know my son is too.

4 days with my first, and it'll be 4 months tomorrow with my lb.

I'm lucky to be able to take a full year off so I think I'll gently wean once he turns one but my daughter still had a bottle till 2 as it helped her settle at bedtime so who knows.

There's no magic age it suddenly becomes less beneficial. He's your baby, and none of their business

I am still feeding my daughter and she's almost 5 years old! Tandem feeding her and my son who is 10 months old. It's up to you and your LO how long you breastfeed for. I never intended to breastfeed for this long but it's just the way it went and I'm happy for them to self wean when they're ready :flower:

I don't have any children yet but in my family breastfeeding has always been the way to go for as long as possible. I was breastfed until 2yo and I have a cousin that was breastfed until 5yo.
If anyone tries to bother you about stopping before you or your child is ready let them know its better for the immune system until they get their childhood vaccines and there have been studies linking length of breastfeeding and level of IQ of the child.

My daughter is 18 months and still breastfeeding twice a day. I work full time. For me, continuing to breastfeed has been easy and not an imposition on my life. As another poster mentioned, when my daughter gets sick and doesn't eat much, she always breastfeeds. It makes me feel better knowing she's getting some nutrition and hydration from milk even if she won't eat food or drink much water.

wow thanks everyone such positive replies i dont know why some people have to be down about it
bev 5 years old and tandem feeding wow just wow :)

I nursed my LO until she was 3. Ignored all negative comments and people trying to be "helpful" by telling me I could stop and that I had done enough for her. Keep going for as long as you and your LO are comfortable with and eventually people will realize that their opinions on this private matter are not welcome. :)

I breastfed my son until he was 25 months and I'm pretty sure he only stopped because my milk dried up as I was 7 months pregnant.

7 months into feeding my daughter and she is not as fussed about the breast as my son was so I think she will probably self wean sooner. I'm all for self weaning. It was much easier on the both of us for him to stop when he was ready!

I had so many people asking me about stopping since my son turned 1 but the truth is I was happy for him to continue and to tandem feed if that was what he wanted.

My son weaned himself at 13 months. I was three months pregnant at the time. My second is still going strong and he's almost nine months. I plan to wean him at a year because I'm expecting my third when he's 14 months. No way I'm breastfeeding two at once. I believe most organizations recommend breastfeeding until two. It seems a bit weird to me to be breastfeeding til that old, but that's just because it's not the norm. Do whatever you want. It's not your friend's business.

My son was combi fed until 8 months, then started refusing the breast. My daughter is nearly 6 months and I don't know when we'll stop really. Lots of people I know feed until 2, some 3 and beyond. I personally find breastfeeding stressful so I don't think I'd keep going that long but I have utmost respect for those who do/can.

We have been BF for 7.5 months so far :)

I'm not sure when we'll stop, I only intended to do it for the first three months maximum.

I breastfed our first until 13 months.. For him, I was so sleep deprived I had to do something. It didn't work trying to just night wean.. It was basically an all or nothing kinda thing. He took to completely weaning well and finally started sleeping at night. Our second I nursed until 14 months. It might have been for selfish reasons I quit but I just wanted part of myself back. I'm still breastfeeding our 10 month old and I'm already itching to be done but will go to a year. I love our cuddles.. When she will actually cuddle and nurse. Usually she is doing leg stretches and practicing walking at the same time :haha: but yeah.. I just want my body back now.

The decision on how long you go is completely up to you. We all have our reasons for stopping but I don't think it should ever be about what someone else thinks is best for you guys. Only you know that :)

3y6m with my first daughter and 3y2m with my second daughter. And I can tell you compared to other children I know, my kids are hardly ever sick. A few colds here and there but neither child has ever had the flu. :shrug: I intend on BFing my next baby as long as she wants as well.

With my first, he nursed until 11 months when I had to wean him because of medications for my Crohn's disease. With baby #2, he's 8 months and going strong, and I don't see any stopping anytime soon, lol!

9.5 months and still going strong though I do have some aversions at times and feel trapped. But have adjusted how I use nursing instead of whipping out my boob all the time I hold him or let him fuss a little then he will calm down. Then we started not using nursing as a tool to fall asleep. He still loves the nipple though any time we shower he tries to reach and latch.
As long as you are not feeling negatively about it and it works then that's all that matters in your breastfeeding relationship with LO :)

3.5 years and counting with DS.
18 months and counting DD.

I am 6 weeks pregnant, I do plan to wean DS before the baby gets here, I have no plans to tridium nurse. I only have two breasts :)

I always wondered what the term for nursing 3 children was!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->