how long do we bleed for?

Mrs_Grissom

Reaction score
can I first of all say how disappointed I was to find out that even after not having a vaginal birth that I was still going to bleed...a lot :( ugh, its been ages since my last period (obviously lol) but its been much longer than that since I've used pads (sorry if this is tmi lol). I just find the whole experience gross and it makes me feel dirty and smelly, I just wondered if anyone could cheer me up by saying it won't last long...anyone? I was thinking I could maybe use tampons but my mum said they'd just fall out :rofl:

Sorry to say but I bled for just over 10 weeks after my c section. Which apparently isn't that normal, I ended up in A&E after keeling over with anemia. They said average is 40 days.

I know where your coming from mrsgrissom, I hate using pads too :nope: The only good thing about this bleed is that there is no 'period pains' with it :thumbup:

Think the bleeding can last up to about 6 weeks :dohh:

I had my boy almost a week ago and I'm barely bleeding anymore.. its more like pink discharge

For me I only really bled heavily for the first week after. The second week was more like a medium/ regular flow period, and third was just a little bit on a panty liner.

I didn't bleed much the first or second week, third week it pretty much stopped. Fourth week came back with a vengeance though. I thought it was over :( I hate pads too, but got told tampons increase your chance of infection and to wait for 6 week check up. Now on week 5 and the bleeding is easing again. Not taking chances after last week though and just generally wear a pad most the time x

I stopped before 5 weeks. I kept cycling from bright red then pink then brown and repeat. I was pushing too hard though. When we finally calmed down and LO was home from NICU at 3 1/2 weeks I did the final cycle. Supposedly when it goes bright red again, you've pushed too hard. I was never super heavy- normal period flow for me and never filled a pad. Don't freak yourself out and accidentally get scented pads, not realize it then think you have an infection cause it smells weird. Whoops!

I stopped completely after two weeks, and then it wasn't much either. I stand corrected but I think it depends on well the doc "cleans" you out after baby and placenta is out.

I had my section 2 weeks ago and I only really bled heavily for the first couple of days, then it wasn't much but I did have small gushes when feeding as your uterus will contract when you are breast feeding. After about a week it was very light bleeding and has been on and off like this since. Every now and then I will get a bit more (tmi but I get more bleeding after having a bowel movement as I think the straining doesnt help!).

Piece of advice though, if you think the bleeding has stopped, still wear a pad as I made this mistake and ended up having to change as I had a bit of a gush of blood again :(
I haven't found the bleeding to be bad though, you forget about it when you are looking at your beautiful baby all day :) :)

Oh my! Thank you so much for asking this question as I was wondering the same thing how ever I haven't had my c section yet! Just want to thank you though for posting it, saves me asking the same thing in 4 weeks! x

UGH. Thanks :p I'm expressing at the minute and the mw said that I'll bleed more while I'm doing that. I'll pretend it's a finite amount of blood then and tell myself that the more it happens the nearer I am to the end *sigh* lol.

Another random question I just wondered about...I had to have those injections in my tummy for a week after giving birth and they were to thin my blood, do you think it has any affect on 'that' blood? Or is it just the blood running around your veins? I just wondered whether to expect a difference now they've come to an end. I've got to be honest the blood is completely different to any period I've ever had...I've been trying to describe it to my OH, likening it to different consistencies :rofl: he totally loves that I intend on sharing every bit of the pregnancy with him :rofl: or maybe not :p

I bled for 9 weeks after mine and ended up having a scan to make sure there wasn't anything the matter as it's not usual to bled for that long. My SIL had a c-section and she bled for a week or 2.

I'm with you on the whole yuk thing. I hated bleeding afterward asi hadn't used pads in years, I just fund the whole thing gross and always used tampons. However you shouldn't use tampons for some reason so think you just have to wait it out I'm afraid ;(

I remember feeling so down last time as I thought after having bubs I could just swan around with no clothes on but I hated having leaky boobs and bleeding, it does suck. I think it is a finite amount isn't it? Oh god I hope so! A bled for around 4 weeks last time, sorry, but it def does get lighter.

Sorry it's crap x

Took 6 weeks for me :( needed pads the entire time. Ugh!

Edited to add I was expressing as well but didn't have the injections. They had me use the compression leg thingys.

I only bled for about a week this time. After my vaginal delivery with DD1, I bled for 6 weeks, so I'm much happier this time around :blush:

I only had the clexane injection the day of the surgery, and had TED stockings on for 2 days.

Just wanted to update ~ At almost 4 weeks, My bleeding has almost gone, although I do still need to wear a pantyliner

Hope your bleeding has eased mrsgrissom :thumbup:

I was wondering this as well. I had a c-section 3 weeks ago and I am still bleeding. It feels like its going to stop but nope the blood just keeps dragging out. My boyfriend thinks its because we had sex. I just wish the blood would go away..........

I bled heavily for the first couple weeks, it tailed off in week 3 so I could swap maternity pads for normal sanitary pads, coming and going in week 4 and stopped altogether just before we hit 5 weeks. I had the injections and didn't notice any difference when they finished, sorry! The other hideous thing I found is that even tho the bleeding has stopped, I still have to wear enormous granny pants as anything else rubs against the healing incision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->