How long does iron take to build back up?

HLx

Mummy to Layla, George & Enzo <3
Reaction score
After having my bloods done Monday I had no idea my iron levels were dangerously low. I've suffered on and off for years with anemia and I never felt this bad with it I honestly thought this time I was just exhausted and coming down with something that never came to be lol I'm on iron and folic acid tablets now, just wondering how long it takes to start rising and I feel a difference? I've never had it this bad so I never really felt any difference apart from dizziness and a tight chest.

It can take a few months for your ferritin (iron stores) to rise. You might find quicker relief from your symptoms though. Was was your ferritin level?

I’ve just started iron too as I have felt exhausted too and short of breath. Difficult to know if it’s just lack of space for my lungs and already having 2 kids though. I get the gentle iron from Holland and Barrett and would recommend it if you get a funny tummy on ferrous fumarate.

Well. I used to be a frequent blood donor and it takes a few months for your levels to go back up. However within a couple of weeks your symptoms should be better!

Mine took a few months with iron supplements.

I'm currently taking off the top of my head these iron and folic combined tablets cant remember the exact name ferrous folic or something lol, the strength is around 375mg and they look like them hard boiled sweets you can get the top half is pink and the bottom half is a creamy yellow colour if anyone knows what I'm on about lol so I cant take any thing other than what I'm taking but that you for the recommendations, I'm feeling a bit better though, I don't feel like I'm coming down with something anymore so I think they are on the rise. From what the doctor said when I spoke to him on the phone levels should be 13 plus for healthy range and they consider 11 or 12 fine too. I did read that levels of 7 or under are blood transfusionly low and mine was 7 so I think I just about missed needing one, thankfully

I’ve struggled with iron /b12 since My pregnancy with DD2 .

After DS was born I had a blood test taken by the hospital and given iron tablets as it was low. I had a blood test done 5 days later and the GP said the results came back normal! Not sure how it rised so quickly. My GP is questionable at times

I’m pretty sure it’s low again as I feel crappy too! I usually get prescribed ferrous sulfate.

Glad your feeling better hopefully the tablets are working quickly for you! Mention it to your midwife too when you next see her , mine kept a record of my levels in my notes ready for when I went into labour and get it checked again after delivery ! Xx

Hay hon
I'm the same as you. I had a iron infusion at 28 weeks and been on iron tablets since 26 weeks but all week I've been feeling so not myself. Extremely tired' dizzy (light headed) sick and just not nice.
My iron is now dangerously low again so they have told me to up the iron meds.
My blood presure is also very very low so no wonder I've been feeling so bad.
I cant see the medication doing much. I'm back in again friday for more monitoring and more bloods. (Bile acid and iron and liver function) my bile acid levels are also on the rise urghhh.
My fundal height is measuring a week behind but my DD was the same. She was just a small baby.
Sorry u have low iron to hon. I'm wondering if I'll have to have another iron infusion. I guess only time will tell.
Only another 5 to 6 weeks for me to go now but I still dont want to feel this crap for the next few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->