How long does it take for uterus to shrink back?

Gbobs

Reaction score
I gave birth on 18th June by emergency c-section after my waters broke and ethan turned out to be breech. Just wondering how long it takes for the uterus to shrink back to normal size (I'm breastfeeding)? My stomach still is quite rounded and very jelly like with a gross overhang above my scar 9 days later and whilst I know I'll have put on some weight that needs shifting during pregnancy, my belly feels disgusting at the moment and I'm hoping this is not what I'm left with to get rid of as it's more than I thought and not a natural looking distribution of fat!!

I am exactly the same as you after giving birth by c-section on 19th May but with twins. I went to see a physio last week and she said that it can take up to a year for it all to sort itself out. My tummy muscles have gone back together now but I haven't been spoken to about how my uterus is doing!

It isn't nice is it, I hate mine also.... just trying not to worry too much as it is very early days and I am hoping it will all move back into place over the next months x

I am exactly the same as you after giving birth by c-section on 19th May but with twins. I went to see a physio last week and she said that it can take up to a year for it all to sort itself out. My tummy muscles have gone back together now but I haven't been spoken to about how my uterus is doing!

It isn't nice is it, I hate mine also.... just trying not to worry too much as it is very early days and I am hoping it will all move back into place over the next months x

No that's true, I was hardly expecting to spring right back, it would be just nice to know what is swelling and uterus vs what I'm left with to lose! I'm sure everything will move back. I just think at least when I was pregnant it was an obvious bump and grew slowly, whereas now I just feel like I've been left with a load of fat I'm not used to having there all of a sudden!

Its only been 9 days hun!!!

I didnt have a c-section but it took my belly about 5 weeks to go to normal.

Dont worry it will go back soon :hugs:

My uterus has shrunk back to almost nothing about 2 weeks after the birth, but I've still got a jelly tummy after a natural birth. I think there is more shrinking to do after the uterus. I've always been pretty slim so hating this bit of me at the mo! just hoping in time things will shrink more. Xx

I was back in my size 6 jeans after 2 weeks :thumbup:

I was checked by midwife who was surprised at how quickly my stomach had gone back to normal at 4 days PP and she said my extreme cramping whilst breast feeding was my uterus contracting back extraordinarily fast. So 4 days for me!

Seems like a real mix of experiences. (Hating all you lucky ladies who've sprung back within weeks though :winkwink::cry:) I did have quite severe cramping in the first few days but this stopped and since then my belly hasn't gone down much - hoping a lot is swelling from the C-section as it's an awful shape and horrible swollen overhang above the scar. I would be happier if it just looked like a couple of rolls of extra fat.

Glad I just get to slob at home for a while in baggy clothes, but at the same time it will be nice if it can continue to go down a bit when I can't even start to think about exercise and have to eat well as I'm breastfeeding (midwife told me 3500 calories a day!!!!). I'm well aware it can take a while to lose the baby weight and part of me is fine with that, I guess it's just a shock after being fine with growing pregnancy body for the last few months, to be left with a body I don't recognise or feel comfortable with at all - boobs that feel heavy and humongous and not at all sexy and horrible shaped rounded blobby stomach. Especially as pre-pregnancy I was the slimmest I've been in 10 years and the most confident I've been about myself. I guess it's a mental issue and I have to remember what I've gained from it - definitely worth it all when you put it into perspective.

Hi, ive been left with a discusting overhang aswell that i am desperate to get rid of. I look like ive had weighloss surgery and lost a huge amound of weight in a short period of time..just like a sack of skin that used to be a tummy. My scar is only just about healing and still hurts in places, like it is burning....also i feel that the lose skin pulls when i walk and this hurts the scar. The overhang covers my scar and i am constantly obsessed that its all hot in there and able to grow bacteria so constant washing down there. its been tough recovering from this csection, ive pretty much not been able to do much. some places on the scar feel more swollen than others, however i have no idea whats normal as ive never had one before. Id be interested to hear others experiences. I came out of this pregnancy about 3.7 stone heavier than i started so lots of work to do to get back to feeling nice about myself again.xxx

Gbobs, I had an emergancy section on the 20th May and have the same tummy issues :( it has gone down slowly but is still big now at 6weeks pp. I put on 4.5 stone in pregnancy and have lost around half of it up to now. The dr said it can take longer to heal when it's an emergancy section as you've gone through labour first and it's also different for everyone and some may take several months to go down as the uterus has been damaged.

It may take a while and never quite be how it was before but I am sure we will be much better a few months down the line xx

Ah yes hopefully, it will be a lot different a few months down the line - until then it's loose clothing and long tops I think :nope: I was shocked at a photo taken the other day where I was wearing my maternity leggings and black maternity vest top - I looked awful! And to think I looked much better in the same outfit when 8 months pregnant!

Ready2bamum - that's exactly how my overhang feels, like the low hanging tummy you get if you're really overweight or lost a lot and have loose skin. I do know what you mean about the pulling too, I feel like I need something tight to keep everything in as at the moment the overhang feels like it's heavy and pulling the scar around. It's my first baby and therefore c-section so I can't really help on what is normal or not. I feel like I've recovered a lot in two weeks but if I do anything remotely more than sitting around (i.e walk to the local high street), it does make the wound feel more sore and achey by the end of the day.

I had an emergency c section 9 weeks ago. My belly is still huge and I still look pregnant. The strange thing is that it is the top of my tummy which is bulging out apart from the famous overhang above the scar. at my 6wk pp check up, the doc thought the uterus was shrinking normal but she said nothing further and told me that it would never be normal again as it had a baby inside (contrary to all the things we read on internet that at 6 wk pp, it is back to its pre pregnancy size).

Anyone else has the top bulge? do you know why it is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->