How long for weight gain?

Kiwiberry

Mommy to 3 beautiful girls & 2 adorable boys!
Reaction score
How long did your preemie need to be monitored (24, 48+ hours?) once they started gaining 1/2 oz a day? My 34 weeker is still in the NICU even though she can breathe on her own, hold her temp, and eat 80% of her bottles (decided to wait till after the NICU to put her to breast due to nipple confusion and the experience with my last preemie). She just started putting on weight yesterday after her post birth weight loss. I am so anxious to get her home and I feel like the NICU is holding her hostage. I would really appreciate any responses I get. Mama going crazy over here :cry:.

They do like to wait until baby has been taking full feeds and waking up, crying out to feed by themselves for a full 48 hours before release anyway. My twins were fully demand feeding for 5 and 6 days before they came home thou as one had bad jaundice and the other, even thou had been fine in the first week, went over the treatment line twice in the last 5 days.

The hospital only wrote birth and discharge weights in their books so I cannot remember the exact day they were weighed, but birth was 4lb 6oz and 4lb 2.5oz. The next was 4lb 1oz and 3lb 13oz. 2 weeks old, they were both 4lb 6.5oz. (was a 15 gram difference in their weights). They came home at 15 days old once their billi ruben levels stopped going upwards but both closely monitored after as they were only just below treatment line on release.

Thanks hun for sharing your story with me <3.

My first was born at 27 weeks and she stayed in for almost 3 months. Ava my newest lil one who is 34 weeks is probably going to end up staying for 2 weeks or more. They estimated by the end of this week for her discharge, but you know how that can go it can change any moment. The strange thing is, I am finding it much harder to handle Ava in the NICU than I did with Riya my first baby. I guess its because I'm exhausted and really dreaded having another premature baby. I am not sure how I am going to get through the rest of this week :cry:.

Ava is doing good on weight now, all she needs to do is take 70-80% of her bottles on her own without having to use the NG tube. I really hate the NG tube and I feel like some nurses use it as crutch to be lazy. Also the fact that she has to eat 40ml in 20 minutes without giving any room for her to take longer is just ridiculous.

I know when I was actually there, they would only top up via NGT when my girl fell asleep and tickling her, stroking her cheek, did not get her sucking again. Gosh knows what they did when I wasn't there thou.

It is hard , I have never had such a very early preemie, cannot imagine how hard it is. Even thou my youngest was term at 39 weeks, he got very poorly at 6 days, which was only 1 days after we had initially been released anyway as I was so ill and I had been in hospital 3 days prior to the birth too ... well 4 if you count me not actualy seeing them the day before because of scan and emergency monitoring nd only getting home once they were in bed, and was NGT fed for a few days. Got ill again at 6 weeks and back in hospital. Breast fed so was with him 24/7 each time, only able to see my older 2 in the afternoon visiting hours as they were in school for the other one, it definitely does take it out of you! My twin 2 also ended up very ill and back in hospital for 6 days, back in incubator, NGT, oxygen, drips at 17 days old and was back and forth with 1 newborn at home and 1 in hospital. It is exhausting and mentally draining.

Hope your little girl is home with you soon!

The NICU held my 34 weeker for a couple extra days due to weight loss. He never needed help breathing or eating, he was just a feed and grow baby. He should have been released on day 5 of the NICU, but that morning when they weighed him he had lost an ounce or something, so they kept him one more day and said if he gains something tomorrow he can go, if not he stays until he gains. Luckly the next day he was like one ounce heavier and we got to go!

Some really good news about Ava! She has not only taken all her bottles overnight but she has also taken them all during the day!! She no longer has an NG tube either!!! All that needs to happen is she keeps up with taking her bottles for 48 hours then she can come home!!! I will be staying next to her tonight too. Definitely stocking up on coffee lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->