how long from mainly tube feeds to all bottles?x

Olivias_mum

Reaction score
After 3 surgerys, NEC twice, E coli, a fungal infection, 4 transfers, Insulin dependancy n some serioous weight gain issues,we have our discharge planning meeting on monday :D :D

Grace is on 3 hourly feeds, most of them are by tube she has 1 (sometimes 2) bottles a day at the mo. She has to go to 4 hourly then demand feeds before she can come home. Even though shes not quite ready they said we might as well have the meeting now so she can go home as soon as she is ready :)

Heres my questions lol!

1) What happens at the discharge planning meeting, I cant even remember Olivias!They said that her consultant, nurse on that day, community nurses and HV will be there.

2) How long did it take your LO to go from mainly tube feeds to all oral feeds?

Hey,

Glad to here that grace could be coming home soon :0)

1) We had the discharge meeting about 2 weeks before Harry came home, everyone was there, we mainly spoke about the oxygen because he was coming home on it and any worries, i remember agruing that i wanted a monitor to take home (got a big fat no, but i looking back i am glad) and they just told us when they come and see us and what she should expect and that kind of thing.
Harry has his first bottle at corrected 34weeks and by 37 he was on full bottles, it took him ages to learn to take one bottle, we would desat and brady all over the place but then suddenly it all clicked. If Grace is on 2 bottles already, it wont be long xx

Hope that helps a little bit xx

Thanks :) I remember that at Olivias meeting we mainly spoke about her oxygen requirements/CLD, Grace isnt on oxygen now so i dont really know what to expect!
Most of the time she has one bottle, if they try her with a second one she takes a bit of it n then falls asleep lol xx

Glad to hear grace is doing well.

We didnt have a discharge meeting we basically got told we were looking at about 3 weeks and that was it until they set a date for her sleep study and said if she passes that you room in for 2 nights and go home.

I think from starting a feeding plan until being without her tube was about 4 weeks in total.

Hopefully not long to go.

Xx

Hey

We didnt have a discharge meeting either, we got told on the Thur that we were going home on the Mon.

Jessica started bottle feeding at 32 weeks and I think it was prob about 4ish weeks before she was completely bottle feeding.

xx

We were about 33 weeks, if i was to do it all over again id use orthodontic teats too, like MAM or NUK, im betting it would have made life way easier

Grace is 37+3 now and has being having bottles since about 33 weeks but still only really manages 1 a day and sometime struggles to finish that one! xx

Ellie went from all tube feeds to 1 tube one teat then 2 teat one tube then all teat within 3 weeks and she was home after 4 days of all teats xx

We didn't have a discharge meeting -- the day of his discharge, the Nurse and Doctor spoke to us briefly, and asked if I was comfortable feeding him while he was on oxygen, then I signed some papers, and that was it.

Elias had his first bottle feed on December 20th, and was on full bottle feeds by January 12th -- he came home on January 15th. So, it took 3 weeks. By the time he left he was eating 60 ml every 3 hours. (Once he was home, I switched to exclusive breastfeeding, though.)

Grace is 37+3 now and has being having bottles since about 33 weeks but still only really manages 1 a day and sometime struggles to finish that one! xx

It took Jessica a few weeks to pick up how many bottles she was taking then all of a sudden one day it was like she just thought 'I dont need this tube anymore' and that was it!

Dont worry dear your LO will get there :hugs:

We didn't get a discharge meeting, we were just told she on christmas eve that she'd be coming home on 27th december.

With feeds it happened really suddenly for us. On 17th dec she was still every other feed a tube feed and by a week later she was all feeds bottle or breast. I think it can happen really suddenly that they take to it.

i didnt have a discharge meeting i was told i could go home as soon as there was a room free (as i had to room in with kayah for one night before i could go home)

kayah went from tube to all bottles in about a weekx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->