How long in between feeds when weaning

Mrs Doddy

1 pink 1 blue
Reaction score
Jess isn't taking much milk god knows why I've tried everything, I'm talking 3/4oz a feed so weaning is evermore important, I give her milk and leave it 45mins then give her purée / solids

How often should I give milk as she isn't taking much every 3 hours or is this too often as I'm giving her food too?

Omar wasn't a big drinker so I used to leave a gap of 1.5- 2 hrs between solids & milk feeds. He was on 3 bottles at 6.5 months when we started weaning & he was taking 15-18 oz. At 6+ your LO needs 18-21 oz with 3 solids. Milk in solids count as part of his intake. you can offer him more dairy like yoghurt & cheese to increase his calcium intake xx

I meant "her" not him, sorry on my phone:dohh:

I forgot to add that we switched to follow on at 7.5 months as he was dropping his milk intake & he liked it more than stage 1. It also have more vitamins & iron which is good for LOs who don't take enough milk xx

Really? The hv said not to bother as it was the same just a gimic ? Mm will have a look at the ingredients

If your LO is happy with her milk & taking enough for her age there is no need to switch, but if she's not so keen, switching would help. I also didn't want to switch but as follow on has more vit & iron & he was taking less than the recommended, I thought he would benefit from those extra vit. His paed recommended the switch xx

Ok, I guess there's no harm trying - I've tried everything else and am at the end of my tether, she's not drinking enough and it's stressing me out, she is 7 months old and weighs 11lbs :-( (ok so she was 4 weeks early but still)

Hi ladies, when my Lo hits 6 months I am going to try the follow on milk for the same reason, Kitty only drinks 3-4 oz at a time sometimes only 2oz and she can go for hours without milk, in 24 hrs she achieves the minimum and feeds better at night than in the day! :cry: leaving me exhauseted, but at least she gets what she needs. The doc suggested we start weaning at 17 weeks becuase this has been going on for such a long time, but up until last week she really wasn't ready and din't have a clue and even now she is not ready really. I wish there was more calories in the milk along with vits and mins when they take so little some days x

Hi ladies, when my Lo hits 6 months I am going to try the follow on milk for the same reason, Kitty only drinks 3-4 oz at a time sometimes only 2oz and she can go for hours without milk, in 24 hrs she achieves the minimum and feeds better at night than in the day! :cry: leaving me exhauseted, but at least she gets what she needs. The doc suggested we start weaning at 17 weeks becuase this has been going on for such a long time, but up until last week she really wasn't ready and din't have a clue and even now she is not ready really. I wish there was more calories in the milk along with vits and mins when they take so little some days x

Big hugs hun :hugs:

Omar went through a similar phase between 5-6 months. We started weaning on baby rice at week 20 due to reflux. He was never a big drinker, when we started introducing solids he dropped him milk intake to 10-12 oz in 24 hrs so we had to stop weaning after 1 week.

He was off his milk for almost 2 months & I had to spoon feed him his formula several times :nope:

We didnt give any solids until he was 6.5 months when he finally started to drink 15-18 oz.

They go through phases & some babies are not big drinkers.

What worked for us is feeding him without distraction when he's ready to go for a nap in a dark room. Did you try changing the teat size or maybe using different bottles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->