How long is it safe for a baby to refuse bottles?

Bunnikins

Reaction score
Boo Im really down at the moment. Ive been very ill and my milk has completely dried up after 4 months of having plenty. It was in the space of 2 days and i now have two empty, saggy boobs :cry: I know if i posted in the BF section i would probably get tips on how to relactate but to be honest i need to get her off the boob anyway (returning to work in a couple of months) so its probably a good thing in a way but im still very sad :(

Anyway my girl was combi feeding happily, having 2 or 3 bottles of formula per day, but now she cant have her boobie, she wont have her bottle either, so is getting no milk. Shes been doing it all day today. She has been eating baby cereal and the odd bit of puree fruit over the last week but today has refused all food with milk in (thought id get milk into her via food, but no) and has only had a pot of fruit puree and a bit of water.

How long have your LOs gone without a bottle of milk? She is very defiant. She must be starving but seems perfectly happy! How long is it safe for a baby to go without milk? Im seeing doc on tuesday but is it safe to go 2 days with only fruit and water as sustinence?

Argh the stress!

sorry i dont have any advice for what your asking but i was doing exactly the same as you with my LO mix feeding breast and bottle for 3 months (mainly breast) then i left her with her dad and in the space of 36hrs my milk dried up and my boobs went down. i even tried to re-lactate and i maybe got a drop or two but my boobs just never filled up. i cant believe how some people manage to re-lactate, seems impossible to me!

Thanks for your reply. How did your baby handle going "cold turkey" on the breast? Did she take the bottles OK or did she miss the boob?

I can very well imagine your condition. My lo hates bottle frm last month. Am feeding her with the spoon and with n no of tricks. It sucks. But at the end of 1 1/2 hr 8 oz are in her and I feel like a king... :) Try doing that. Atleast something will go inside. I don't think you can be peaceful for 2 whole days when she is starving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->