How long to co-sleep?

toria01

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here! Hope everyones well.

My daughter is 4 months old, and we are currently co-sleeping, I love the fact that shes so close to me and I'm breastfeeding too so it's easier for those night feeds. Anyway I was just wondering when should we stop co-sleeping and start encouraging LO to sleep in her own bed?

Vicky
x

When she starts sticking her foot in your face more times than she has her mouth on your boob! :lol: Well, that was our ending anyway!

Haha will have to watch out for that! I've had a few punches in the face recently. And quite a few scratches on my face. It's so worth it to see that little smiley face staring at me when I wake up!

I'm in the "when it feels right" camp too :) I did read an interesting book called Bed Timing though and in it the authors talk about the best developmental phases to try to introduce sleep training (again, I'm not a fan of sleep training, but figured the transition out of our bed would probably be similar in some ways since LO would be learning to sleep in a new environment...). The best time is supposed to be from 5.5-7.5 months when they are more interested in grasping and exploring objects than tracking their parents' whereabouts. Of course we missed that window and Emma's still in our bed :) I still love waking up to her sleepy smiles though- even if I have suffered many pokes to the eyes in recent months :)

We were ready to stop at 6 months, James worked out that he had to open my eye lids to get my eyes on him which was never done gently! We made the transition smoothly and he now sleeps a lot better in his own bed. But it's completely up to you and how you both feel. Xx

Don't let people scare you with that "rod off of your own back" nonsense. Aslong as when you are ready to move her you are consistent you will be fine!

I've been wondering this too actually so think you for asking. And thanks for the answers.

Do it for however long you and LO want, there is no wrong or right way hun xx

Thank you ladies for all your helpful answers! A lot of people have said I'm 'making a rod for my own back' but I don't listen, comfort and feeling safe is what 4 month old needs and her knowing I'm close reassures her. And besides from the bruises it is lovely! X

We were ready to stop at 6 months, James worked out that he had to open my eye lids to get my eyes on him which was never done gently! We made the transition smoothly and he now sleeps a lot better in his own bed. But it's completely up to you and how you both feel. Xx

I've been wondering this too... would you mind sharing your experiences of how you made the transition?

I've gone through a number of phases where I've co slept, then transitioned her to her crib, then put her back in the bed with me when her sleeping went to pot again. When she was sleeping long stretches I put her in her bed. When she was waking up frequently, she came in with me. Every sleep regression - and there are a lot of them in the first 2 years - has hit her (and poor me) hard. I'll shortly try transitioning her back to her bed again in the next week.

I've just resolved not to stress about it. She'll go into her own bed for good at some point. That all being said, I'm back at work 4 days a week now and find it comforting to have her in bed with me. I'm gone for a while in the day but at least I'm there at night for her to cuddle up to.

So I'd say follow her lead and don't stress if the first transition to her crib isn't the final one. You'll get there in the end.

I've been wondering this too... would you mind sharing your experiences of how you made the transition?

Of course I dont mind! Feel free to PM me (anyone that is) if you need more help as it really has changed my life as I had my first full nights sleep since being about 7 months pregnant this week!

I read the book 'the baby sleep system' by wendy someone or other (I can check if you need the full name) and it had some fantastic ideas, and not just CIO ideas! (I've read a few books and this is by far the best one and easiest to follow)

I did the Pick up put down method, if you need more info on this asks, I suggest not googling as when I did this all I found were it doesnt work posts which just made me more anxious but it really does! I am the 4th person I know to try it and have success.

I also concentrated on trying to get him to have good naps in the day without sleeping on me. To start with, if that means going for a walk in the pram etc you do it. Then you focus on one nap a day being in the cot where they have fallen asleep after you have put them down.

It took 20 mins the first time and it worked! I suggest reading the book if you can and doing it on a friday so you have the weekend if you feel tired as it can take a lot of hard work to keep going 20 mins and you have to keep going until they fall asleep otherwise you havent taught them anything. (I should add this is only recommended after 17 weeks). Even though its no cry, it can be tough putting them down and them starting to cry. Literally after the first day we saw a MASSIVE improvement and 1 month on I just put him down in his cot, turn on his mobile and he falls asleep in more than 5 mins!

ha ha would also like to know the answer as our 2 year old still co-sleeps, i do get her to sleep in my bed and then move her into her bed but she just comes back in a few hours later, now i am thinking was it a good idea to co-sleep whilst BF and shall i co-sleep with this baby, bloody hell, me and hubby will have to get on the coach lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->