How long to monitor reduced movement before calling midwife?

Embo78

Mum of five
Reaction score
My baby is very very very active usually. Yesterday it felt like he was constantly moving and I could feel him engaging into my pelvis.

Last night I was concerned because usually when I turn over in bed he moved for a little while as if getting comfy again but he didn't at all through the night he's usually more active in a morning but this morning there's hardly any.

At what point should I phone the midwife. I don't want to waste people's time if he's just having a quiet morning due to all the extra movement yesterday. Also I don't want to put him in any risk either and he comes first obviously. Do the Nhs recommend monitoring movement over 12-24 hours.

This is my fifth baby but first time I've been concerned about reduced movement.

My baby did this - after a very active day was very quiet the next day I had a cold drink and laid down and did feel movements eventually but in a different place - turned out baby had turned to face my back and I was not feeling the movements as they were mostly internal - explains the extra sticky feeling I had!

Have a cold drink and lie on your left side - maybe talk to bump - and if nothing felt in two hours just call the midwife and ask for advice

When this happened to me a few weeks ago I called the hospital and the midwife said to lie down on my left side for an hour with a cold drink and if I still didn't feel movement/was unhappy with movements then I was to give them a call back and I would be taken in for monitoring. I still wasn't happy in the end so I did go in and thankfully all was ok. Please give them a call if you are worried you aren't bothering anyonex

Thanks all. I rang straight after posting!!

Midwife was lovely and said lie down for an hour with ice cold water and carefully monitor movement. Since then he's moved ten times so I think he's ok. The movements are very different to his usual movements so I'm still a little bit worried. They seem more slow and laboured than usual.

I got told by my midwife yesterday if baby is quiet or I haven't felt her as much as I normally do then have a cold sugery drink and lay down on my left for 2 hours and feel 10 movements if still not happy call the hospital and tell them that I have done that and they will make you go in to be checked - she said if I just call they will tell me to go away and do it so may as well do it before :shrug:

I could be he moved into a different position yesterday with all his movement and so the movements feel fainter :shrug:

:hugs: if you are still not happy trust your instinct and go in

Thanks twag. I think he engaged yesterday. I felt so much movement in my pelvis and lots grinding feelings. I bet his position has changed :thumbup:

Thanks twag. I think he engaged yesterday. I felt so much movement in my pelvis and lots grinding feelings. I bet his position has changed :thumbup:

I had the exact same last night she was going crazy movement and then was really twisting and pushing down last night it was hurting - today her movements are different and I am feeling them but fainter and can what can only be described as shoulders digging into my groin today :wacko:

:hugs: these little munchkins like to keep us on our toes! :dohh:

Lol! That's how I was feeling. I kept wincing in pain and it was really uncomfortable. Just taken my lo to nursery and I was walking like I had a bowling ball between my legs :rofl:

Little monkeys aren't they :cloud9:

I kept thinking my waters were going to pop she was going that crazy down there :wacko: also have the bowling ball feeling today :dohh:

That's exactly what I said to DH yesterday "I feel like there is a bowling ball in my who ha"...

I've been having reduced movements a lot. Whenever I think about baby moving he won't. He is very quiet for most of the day. Will have ice cold juice and lay down and off he goes. I've been to L&D twice and he is just fine which makes me hesitate to go in now when it's been a few hours.
I've also just finished googling about change in movements. I don't feel kicks or jabs and my stomach doesn't move anymore really. What I feel are rolls.
I hope Nando is ok Em and just moved into another position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->