How long until my poor nipples get used to BF?

Jchihuahua

Mummy to 3
Reaction score
Please could someone help me. I have been breastfeeding Daisy on demand since she was born on 23rd December. She latches on really well and has really taken to it. She feeds every 2 to 3 hours at the moment but also sometimes seemes to want to suck for comfort even if she is not hungry. I love feeding her, love feeling so close and so bonded and am very determined to persevere and the midwives say I'm doing great but my nipples hurt SOOOO much!

How long will it take until they toughen up and get used to it? They are so cracked and bleeding and it is agony when she first latches on and it actually takes my breath away for a moment. They feel like they are throbbing and if I brush against anything it is so painful.

I keep thinking that maybe I'll try expressing and see if that helps or whether to just keep going as I am and hope it will be less painful in a few days. What do you guys think?

A couple of weeks hun :hugs: Well done for sticking it out so far. It's really not easy to do in the beggining and I know you feel like you're chained to the sofa feeding but try and enjoy it and think of it as extra cuddles and the fab bonding you're doing with her.
To answer your question, don't try and express as expressing hurts your nipples just as much and you won't get as much milk out anyway. Just try and keep going, you're doing great.
Your hard work WILL be rewarded I promise. I loveeee breastfeeding amelie :D

Hi there - I totally understand where you're coming from. See my post about nipple shields and youll see we're experiencing the same thing. My LO was born 16th Dec and everything wasa fine to begin with (until my mik came in and I had engorged breasts for a while) but once we got the latch right I thought I'd cracked it - then the pain started. It is unbearable for a few seconds as soon as she latches on - brings me to tears - like you I'm hoping my nipples will get used to it soon.

Hi, I can completely sympathise with you. I had 6 weeks of extremely sore nipples... Like you they hurt to touch, it was tie curling when my little one was latched on & I used to hope that he would go longer between feeds as it made me cry each time I fed him. But well done for persevering... I promise it will get better.
I did exclusively express for a few weeks as I was bleeding and I got mastitis and I found that it helped me, but everyone is different. I also have large breasts and my lo was finding it hard to latch on even with the help of the midwife. But this is better now he has learnt to do it withou hurting me!
I found it easier to wear no bra as often as poss even tho I leaked all the time! Also hot baths help, lansinoh cream is great, and changing the positions that the lo feeds ineCh time to give diff bits of the nipple a rest.
I am so proud if myself & my lo now! I hope u find that it gets easier soon & well done for keeping going, xxx

My baby was born on the 10th and I now find feeding pain free. Different positions helped and I used the plastic nipple cups between feeds, they sit in your bra and keep your nipples away from your clothing and let the lansinoh sink in.

Now if I could put her down between feeds I would be sorted:wacko:

It only took a week for me. I used lansinoh and applied it after every feed, every time I changed my breast pads and after every shower and it was an absolute little miracle for me. After a week all the old, cracked nipple skin seemed to shed and ever after we've been great. That first latch is still painful (but then she does have a good hard bite) but she settles after a few sucks. Nothing like the constant biting down on my clothes as she fed because it was just so painful!

Something I didn't know before starting to breastfeed was that it can be very painful for a few weeks, even if you're getting it right. I think a lot of the literature and advice out there says exactly that... if it's painful, you're doing it wrong and that's not always true. I think that's why so many women give up. If I hadn't had so much support and reassurance from experts then I would have assumed I was doing it wrong and that it would never get better. But, it absolutely does.

Just to reassure you - once you get through the first few weeks - it is not painful at all. I worried about that in the beginning - I wasn't sure how much the pain would reduce. It should go completely once you get through the initial stage :)

It took me a good few weeks before I wasn't dreading the next feed - it does get better!!! Lansinoh was a god-send - I was on here at 2 weeks crying because my cracked/bleeding nipples. I had some nipple cream, but the wonderful ladies here said lansinoh is the one and I couldn't agree more. I still cringe when LO first latches on, but the initial pain goes away completely after a few moments.

My LO is also a serious comfort sucker! We started using a pacifier after a few weeks because he would want to comfort suck for well over an hour after his feeds, and since he was eating every 2h it meant I was literally tied to the couch with my boob out. Also the comfort sucking was really hurting my already sore nipples. The pacifier really works wonders for us - I swore I wouldn't use one, but sometimes plans change! LOL I usually let him comfort suck for 5-10min, then give him a pacifier. Life is much better for us since!

You are doing sooooo well with the bf! People don't tell you how difficult it can be - but it is hard and painful work at the beginning. I barely got any sleep. But now it has been 6 weeks and it is so much better. I am so happy I stuck it out and it is so rewarding. You are doing great! :hugs: :hugs:

hehe I posted the same thing after bfing for 2 weeks, then the next day, they stopped hurting. It was magical. It really depends on your body, but don't worry, they will stop hurting. Then you will enjoy the bonding experience even more... as if that's possible!

It only took a week for me. I used lansinoh and applied it after every feed, every time I changed my breast pads and after every shower and it was an absolute little miracle for me. After a week all the old, cracked nipple skin seemed to shed and ever after we've been great...........

Something I didn't know before starting to breastfeed was that it can be very painful for a few weeks, even if you're getting it right. I think a lot of the literature and advice out there says exactly that... if it's painful, you're doing it wrong .

I feel this is absolutely spot on. Everything you read, everything your MW's tell you says it's shouldn't hurt. I've felt as though I must be getting it wrong if it hurts so much but it sounds as though it's very common and will pass - (hopefully!)

Thanks everyone :hugs:. Apart from the awfully painful initial latch on and the few moments following that I'm finding it quite comfortable and I love having her so close to me :cloud9:. The lack of sleep is what i'm also struggling with though as she feeds every 2 hours and takes a while to settle between feeds so it feels like i just get her settled and doze off myself and then it is time to feed all over again.

hiya ladies ! Ive been bf exclusively since scarlett was born and i too thought that something must be wrong, every professional you talk to says it shouldnt be painful, then every bf mum you speak to says the opposite ! i have to bite my finger for the first few seconds ouch! but it all pays off, the midwife came this morning said shes gained 2oz !!!! :thumbup:

The initial pain when they latch on shouldn't last more than 10 secs or so (although i know it feels a lot longer when its happening to you :() and it won't last much longer for you ladies :D

thanks for this thread.
im on day 4 of bf now and i thought i was getting a good latch but it is hurting so thought i poss wasnt.

but after reading this sounds like we are doing ok and just need to work through the pain.

thanks for this thread.
im on day 4 of bf now and i thought i was getting a good latch but it is hurting so thought i poss wasnt.

but after reading this sounds like we are doing ok and just need to work through the pain.

Yes, I agree. I'm on day 9 now and even though its still painful it is slightly less painful than it has been so hopefully I'm slowly getting there. My breasts being engorged is now my latest painful problem.

I didnt no this :(
I thought my latch was wrong even though i thought it looked and felt right.

I wish id spoken more to breastfeeding mums at the beginning!

Now i no if i persevere for a bit more it should stop soon!

xx

thanks for this thread.

Yes, I agree. I'm on day 9 now and even though its still painful it is slightly less painful than it has been so hopefully I'm slowly getting there. My breasts being engorged is now my latest painful problem.

how's it going hun? mine don't seem any better today? :(

Please could someone help me. I have been breastfeeding Daisy on demand since she was born on 23rd December. She latches on really well and has really taken to it. She feeds every 2 to 3 hours at the moment but also sometimes seemes to want to suck for comfort even if she is not hungry. I love feeding her, love feeling so close and so bonded and am very determined to persevere and the midwives say I'm doing great but my nipples hurt SOOOO much!

How long will it take until they toughen up and get used to it? They are so cracked and bleeding and it is agony when she first latches on and it actually takes my breath away for a moment. They feel like they are throbbing and if I brush against anything it is so painful.

I keep thinking that maybe I'll try expressing and see if that helps or whether to just keep going as I am and hope it will be less painful in a few days. What do you guys think?

I was in a similar situation and had to give my nipples a rest. I have a double electric pump so was able to express exclusively for a day and a half. I absolutely piled on the Lanisoh cream in that time and also put nipple shells on so that my bra wasn't pressing on my nips. I found out after that these are only supposed to be used for 40 mins but I had them on permanently. Well, the day and a half off really helped. My nipples stopped being cracked and I was able to resume BF. Don't get me wrong, it still hurts but it's not from cracked nipples. More from general tug. It has got less painful since then. I really recommend lots of paracetamol. This is safe to take when BF.

I was in a similar situation and had to give my nipples a rest. I have a double electric pump so was able to express exclusively for a day and a half. I absolutely piled on the Lanisoh cream in that time and also put nipple shells on so that my bra wasn't pressing on my nips. I found out after that these are only supposed to be used for 40 mins but I had them on permanently. Well, the day and a half off really helped. My nipples stopped being cracked and I was able to resume BF. Don't get me wrong, it still hurts but it's not from cracked nipples. More from general tug. It has got less painful since then. I really recommend lots of paracetamol. This is safe to take when BF.

I am having a break for a couple of days too due to sore nipples and a blocked duct/mastitis.
How did you feed the expressed milk - I am feeding with a tiny cup I have from when my first daughter had feeding problems. Is this the best way do you think or is there something better I could do??

it took me about three weeks to get used breast feeding my lo again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->