How long will a sponge cake/fairy cakes last?

emyandpotato

Reaction score
Gonna be making little lavender cupcakes with a basic sponge recipe for my wedding on Wednesday. Thing is we're leaving early Monday morning and can't cook or bake after we've left nor do I want to! If I make them and ice them on Sunday evening will they be okay to eat Wednesday evening or will they have gone off by then?

I have some sponge cake now in airtight Tupperware that I made on Sunday. Had a slice for lunch today (Thursday) and it was delicious :) if you keep them cool and stored in an airtight container they should be fine. My wedding cake was made by Sunday and we got married on a Thursday as well.
You could freeze them Sunday (personally I don't think it'd be worth it) or if there are facilities at you venue keep them in the fridge, but obviously you would then have to ice them there once you were ready to take them out of the fridge.

Airtight container at room/cool temp. Fridges can dry out a cake, it goes stale quicker, so avoid that.

I think you'll be just fine with a big Tupperware box and a nice temp area

Generally I find the sponge will stay fresh tasting for about a week - so long as you store in an airtight container in a fair temperature. Don't put in the fridge as too cold will dry out the sponge and make it taste stale, just ensure the storage area isn't too hot either. I made ours on Thursday for Saturday wedding and stored them in tupperware in my in laws cellar as it was mid summer. They were still perfectly fresh on the day.

Icing may not last as long as the sponge if it's got fresh dairy in it, the high sugar of icing does help preserve though. I used Betty Crockers buttercream style icing (ready made in tubs) and it was fine, even though the tub says to refrigerate once open.

Have fun! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->