How many fitteds/covers?

too_scared

Finn's mommy <3
Reaction score
My pocket diapers are losing their elastic at the legs :cry: I don't know what happened. I never put them in the dryer and I use the same detergent/washing routine that I have always used. They aren't quite 1.5 years old. They are Sunbaby diapers. The only thing that changed is that I have started hanging them to dry outside in the sun rather than on the clothesline in my basement. Could the uv rays have broken down the elastics??

I have some fitted diapers already so I was thinking I would get some covers and use them. I have 18 fitteds. I had 24 pocket diapers and I think that is a good number for us.

So, with 24 fitted diapers how many covers do you think I will need?

Thanks!

At that age, 12-18? I use a mix of prefolds with covers and pockets. If Sophie doesn't poo I can generally use a cover for most of the day and just change the prefold.

I have 10 pockets and 4 covers and use prefolds in them all. I wash every day but I don't like the smell of dirty nappies. Already smells bad enough in my messy house. I would prefer 12 pockets and 6 covers.

Regarding the elastic, I only ever line dry and have some cheap pockets that are still going after 3 years of use with the kids. So not sure there.

I just ordered 5 covers. I'm also planning to make some fleece covers and buy a few more wool covers. I have 3 pairs of wool longies right now.

I also ordered 12 flats. I am really looking forward to trying them! :) I think 18 fitteds and 12 flats should do it. I usually wash every second day.

So any pointers on flats? How to fold? How many times to wash before use? They are 100% unbleached cotton. I have some snappies already. :)

If you are using wool coves full time, practically speaking 3 should be enough at that age, although you may want more variety. With wool you alternate (well you probably know that anyway0 so then 3rd is just for when one needs washing. Fleece covers do red washing every time though.

Cotton terries can be used after one wash, but will build up absorbency over the fist few washes, so just remember to change a bit more frequently the first few times. I love terries under wool, and like the kite fold best, although I find any fold which ends up with the nappy on the bias, rather than on the straight grain is best.

Thank you :)

I only have wool longies right now so that is no good. I need shorts and/or just covers for this time of year. Although summer will soon be over here in Newfoundland. :wacko:

Thanks for your help! I'll have to look up the kite fold.

I can't wait to get the new diapers to try them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->