How many of you homebirth against advice?

My bump

Cooking a little one
Reaction score
Have seen the midwife and at the minute am a consultant booking to discuss my last birth with them. But think I am going to be a homebirth against medical advice. My OH is not very happy about this, but I work in maternity so know what I am doing. I was induced last time and had a pph........my fight is this happened due to a 3 day induction , instumental delivery (episiotomy) and my poor uterus and couldnt cope with that!!

My midwife has been very supportive, so just need to convince the consultant now........how many of you are going against medical advice??

xx

I will if my OH wants a HB, though the reason why they'll say no to me is because I had a section with Tegan.

You dont have to convince HIM - he has to convince YOU! I refused induction so I guess technically I was going to home birth against advice. Fortunately by the time I went into labour I'd had a full and frank apology from the same consultant who admitted she was wrong to suggest induction at 37 weeks. So even though in the end I had her blessing (not that I felt I needed it I knew in my heart and head she was wrong) if I'd have gone into labour 2 days sooner ie before the apology; then I'd have been going against her.

It might be an idea to speak to your consultant MW. They can give a second opinion and will generally be advocate for you if needed when it comes to consultants.

x

We don't have a consultant midwife, but do have some lovely senior members of staff who I am sure would support me. I work at the hospital so am not sure what route the conversation with the consultant is going to go down????? I imagine it might be "you should know better in your job" but perhaps not as the consultant I am booked under is VERY good and very pro woman as opposed to always being pro medicine and they dont like to intervene unneccesarily either. I only bled because I wasn't stitched up for ages!!

Thanks for the advice, I need to do my reading and get armed with info lol! I know it all I just need to find the evidence for my argument!

You never know they might surprise you but if they dont and they pull the 'you should know better in your job' number you can reply with 'it's BECAUSE of my job that I DO know better :winkwink:'

In my case i just told them i was having a home birth and nothing they could say would change my mind. Unfortunatly i dident get it as she came early :(

Can you technically still have a homebirth even if you're early? What is it like 37 or 38 weeks they give you the "go ahead." But do you have the right to not go in?

Its 37 weeks they say you can have a home birth from. They cant make you go in before then but id realy recomend it as you dont know if your LO is going to have problems from being early.

Yea if it was super early I wouldn't chance it. But I seem to think my due date may be before they're saying. So if I went into labour at say 36 or even 35 weeks I wouldn't be too fussed. And if given the right would still have my home birth.

Yea if it was super early I wouldn't chance it. But I seem to think my due date may be before they're saying. So if I went into labour at say 36 or even 35 weeks I wouldn't be too fussed. And if given the right would still have my home birth.

I really would not recommend that. My sister was born at 35 weeks and spent a week in NICU on oxygen. Some babies born at 37 weeks + need help. If your care provider is comfortable with it though, go for it :)

I really would not recommend that. My sister was born at 35 weeks and spent a week in NICU on oxygen. Some babies born at 37 weeks + need help. If your care provider is comfortable with it though, go for it :)

I agree - if you were having a baby at a Birth Centre and went in to labour before 37 weeks, they'd want you to go to the hospital (ie where there was SCBU/NICU care) rather than the Birth Centre and so the same is said for home births. Of course it is your baby and your prerogative BUT if you were my client I would be advising we met at the hospital prior to 37/38 weeks (some areas guideline is 37 some it;s 38). x

I wouldent chance it ether, My lo was born at 35 weeks and she was fine yet my best friend had her baby at 36 weeks and she spent 2 weeks in special care with feeding and breathing issues, you never know how much help a term baby is going to need yet alone an early one.

I wouldn't chance a pre-term birth at home either, it's not worth the risk as the end outcome primarily has to be a healthy baby.

I will update friday when I have been to the hospital and see what happens!! Wish me luck! x

Thanks so much ladies for your replies. You've really made me see that sometimes there are reasons to go into the hospital and have really put my mind at ease that if that's what happens then that's just what is going to happen. :hugs:

You can still get your natural birth in hospital, i had nothing but gas and air, even with a drip as my contractions had stopped.

i have gone against my consultant as he said no to home birth based on this is my 6th bbay but all labours have gone fine and my last one was homebirth , i went to the head of midwifes and she approved it straight away as long as i agreed to go hospital if things went wrong.x

Good for you!!! Positive vibes for this one and hope all goes well :) xx

Just wanted to update that consultant was very supportive. I am free to do as I wish homebirth, birth centre or hospital and think I am going for the birth centre :) very pleased!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->