How much does stress really matter?

HarliRexx

Reaction score
I know it's something that's impossible to measure, but I'm wondering how much stress actually effects your body's ability to go into labor. I'm already stressed that I'm "overdue" just because I'm tired of everyone asking me on a daily basis where the baby is, when I'm being induced, etc. Plus the stress I put on myself worrying if I actually will end up needing to be induced because I've gone too far past my date. ANYWAY... I've been fighting with the DH alot over issues with my inlaws that have become worse now that there's a grandchild on the way... to the point where we had a big screaming matchand I cried repeatedly for 2 days in a row then had a pounding headache the following 2 days after that. Is it that likely that I've not gone into labor yet because of all this anxiety???

I think it's very important and will especially help during labour not to be stressing. Whether it actually delays labour I don't know, but there is no harm in trying to relax and stop worrying.

Hope it all settles down for you xx

Yes. You must be a HUGE ball of adrenalin. If you were an animal in the wild and were fighting with other members of the pack your adrenalin levels would be high to stop you labouring because it's not safe to give birth. Oxytocin is inhibited by adrenalin so until you have low levels of adrenalin, thus signalling to your body that it is a safe time and place to give birth, you will find it hard to labour. If your baby tells your body it is time to be born and labour starts, high levels of adrenalin will make it very difficult for labour to become established.

So in short: stress does affect labour. Hugely.

^WSS
i found with ds1 i was so tense and stressed and full of adrenalin that my body stop started in labour for ages when i could calm down at night ( after SIL who was staying had gone to bed ) then my body started off in early labour but once daylight arrived or if she woke up then bang things would stop almost imediately. she was causing me to be so stressed the sight of her got me wound up and inhibited labour it took my mother and DH and flatmate in turn keeping her out of my sight for my labour to actually start then it was such a long drawn out process because i was still midly stressed just because subconsiously i was wound up about her staying. and that tenseness didnt help with the labour caus i was fighting the pain of the contractions :dohh: so it took forever for my body to do anything and i got myself so worn and tired out

Thanks ladies. I've been trying to tell my DH we just need to set these issues aside so I can relax but even when he's not here i feel sick to my stomach and my heart rate is higher just because I know things are still unresolved. I think I need to get out and do something fun to take my mind off of things for a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->