How much does your 12 month old nurse?

charlie15

Reaction score
Now I know all babies are different but just would like to get an idea of other 12 month olds.

Sophia feeds 3 times a day and tbh, I think she would be happy with only the morning feed, I offer the others, a midday feed and bedtime feed but she never, or rarely asks. I am also wondering if mums who are breastfeeding and working too give their LO cows milk? I will be back to work 2 days a week later this month, as i work shifts the most boob dd will get will be one or possibly none on the days i am working. I already give a calcium rich diet, so just wondering what others do with cows milk.

Thanks

I haven't introduced cows milk yet. Josalyn drinks only water, which she loves. She gets offended if I give her anything else!

She nurses probably 4-6x a day still, and a couple of times during the night (we bedshare).

DS still nurses around 6-8 times in a 24-hour period. He gets breast milk in sippies 2x per day with meals, but prefers to drink the water we offer at the same time instead. We don't do cow's milk, but that's a lifestyle choice rather than a "we're waiting until x time to introduce yadda yadda" choice.

Once before bed and once during the night. she gets cows milk during the day as she absolutely refuses to bf

my lo is nearly 16months and at one she would feed around 5times a day she cut herself at 14months to morning night and once in the night but recently she has been asking for milk in the day mainly once but she has asked twice sometimes! she actively asks for it too so no mistaking it she grabs my top or top of boobs in a top and says milk milk and tries to lay down gets upset if i dont give it her (when she asks the second time around 3pm i distract her as my supply has settled to the three times a day and if she fed at that time she wouldn t have enough to go to sleep!) if she is having a fussy night and wakes during she will nurse loads more, more for comfort though. the cows milk thing she wont drink it, ive tried it warm,cold,flavoured and tried soya milk, she wont touch it and same goes for my breast milk in a cup she wont take that either. x

LO just turned one and he feeds 5-6 times a day. He is actually starting to cut down though, he is in the process of moving to one nap and as we've always fed to sleep, that means he is dropping the feed he had before his first nap. I've tried to give it to him anyway, but he won't have it most days. He doesn't appear to miss it at all either, which is making me a bit sad! I'm going to keep offering him it until he is completely on one nap though.

Plus, he's just been through the most horrific teething for the last week and a half and has been comfort sucking all night, basically, so I'm not really sure how many feeds he's really on a day now. The tooth came through last night, so he slept better and had less booby, but I can see the tooth on the other side about to start making its way through so I figure in a day or two we will be back to all night comfort sucking.

Here's what he has done in the last day or so, just for an example, although it was even more unusual as he napped on the go in the car yesterday, which he really never does, so no bf with the nap.

9am: Small feed at what used to be morning nap time, then we went out.
Then no feed until 5:30pm when he went to bed! I offered mid-afternoon and he wasn't interested.
10pm: Woke up and had a feed
3am: Woke up and had a feed
5:20am: Woke up and had a feed
Refused 9am bf
11am today: Bf before going to sleep at 11:15

So he had 5 ish in a 24 hour period.

It's all higgeldy piggeldy right now, he's clearly feeding more at night, ugh! I'm so confused about what a 12 month old needs in terms of Bf. I want to night wean him soon, but then he'd only be left with 2 during the day, and is that enough?

It's actually really interesting to see how different they all are. Compared to S a lot of your LO's have night feeds still, but Sophia dropped them totally at 6 months and now she just loves her sleep at night! Today she actually had 4 feeds and asked for 3 of them....we're also teething and nap transitioning here too!

Oh Zephram, I meant to say...you asked how much is enough, well I have been told any more than 3 is comfort feeding, not a nutritional need by a health visitor. But tbh I don't really pay much attention to them. I think it really depends on solid intake and how much calcium they get in their diet, calcium is actually a pretty easy mineral to get in food form so I would think 2 feeds a day would be fine as long as your LO had a good solid intake of calcium rich foods and it's possible that if he needs more he my ask for a feed during the day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->