How Much folic acid?

Lozb

Reaction score
Hi girls, I am taking a general women's vitamin that has 400mg of folic acid in it and I am also taking another folic acid tablet of 400mg, all adding up to 800mg is that too much daily?

Its not to much as the reccomended dose is between 400-800 micrograms (0.4-0.8 mg) unless you have a known spinal defect then the dr will perscribe 5000 micrograms (5mg).

You cant overdose on FA as its a naturaly acurring vitamin that the body needs to thrive so it will use up and burn off any it doesnt use.

I would recomend to anyone to take the one thats in a multi vitamin or pre natal then also take an addition FA on its own.
Dont take more then one of the multivitamins because there are other vitamins in there that the body cant burn off any extra

Also dont cant confused on the dosages as its normaly micrograms (µg or mcg) and there is 1000 in a milligram (mg) so what your taking is actualy 0.8mg or 800 µg rather then 800mg

the women vit say take two a day making it 0.4mg (i dont know how to do that werid sign on my computer). then the extra folic acid i am taking is 0.4mg. i am happy i am taking the higher end of the recommeded amount. better to be safe than sorry. i dont have any history of spinal problems in my family, just like to be safe.

Its better to be safe especialy as spinal problems can be past down the family without even realising it.
I was born with spina bifida and hydrocafalus and its now though that my grandmothers sister may have had spinal problems, they didnt survive in those days so no one knew about it untill researching our family tree we came across her birth and death records wch would have ment one of my great or even great great grand parents was a carrier of occulta.

Also spina bifida has 3 main types and one of them is actualy completly invisable (spina bifida occulta) and you would never know you even had it, the only sign is a little mole on the base of the spine or a hairy patch there or even sometimes nothing at all with no other problems yet you can still pass it on to an offspring in a more severe form.
Thats why its always better to be safer and just take it

Since my sister was born with cleft lip, I have to take 4mg. You just pee out the extra that your body doesn't need.

I'm wondering how you got that 400mg is actually micrograms, Smokey? My vitamins all say mcg for microgram and mg for milligram. (Which is standard scientific notation.)

Anyway, 400-800mg a day is good for FA. :)

is this y my urine is so yellow? cause i am peeing the unused folic acid out

^Yep. One of those silly side effects. lol. It happens with B-6 too. You get to have neon pee!

I'm wondering how you got that 400mg is actually micrograms, Smokey? My vitamins all say mcg for microgram and mg for milligram. (Which is standard scientific notation.)

Sorry I dont understand :) I never said 400mg is micrograms.
its classed as either 400 µg also commonly mcg (micrograms) or 0.4mg (milligrams)

Again its not 400-800mg as that is 1000 times the dosage its 400-800µg or mcg or 0.4-0.8mg (I think this is where the confusion is).
My dosage is 5mg which is 5000 micrograms and you can only get that on perscription

yeh my wee looks like it could glow in the dark. i was taking B6 aswell but i dnt think it was working so stop taking it.

Weird iv never noticed odd colour wee and iv been taking the higher dose for years :)

Sorry I dont understand :) I never said 400mg is micrograms.
its classed as either 400 µg also commonly mcg (micrograms) or 0.4mg (milligrams)

Again its not 400-800mg as that is 1000 times the dosage its 400-800µg or mcg or 0.4-0.8mg (I think this is where the confusion is).
My dosage is 5mg which is 5000 micrograms and you can only get that on perscription

AH, I'm not confused anymore. I've been reading the bottle wrong this whole time. It does say MCG, not MG. lol. Brain lapse! Yes, 400MG would be far too much. haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->