How much interaction/conversation

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
For the autistic parents...

I was wondering how much does your child interact with you? Like conversing with you?

As for Josh, it's pretty much only for when he wants something, or if it's beneficial for him. Like: ''mommy, I want food, grated cheese''

If I ask him questions, 80% of the time he doesn't answer me back or if he does it's something that doesn't make sense (like for example, Josh, what did you eat this morning at playgroup? ''Cars, changing the wheels on the car mommy'') He answers with what he's currently doing as an activity most of the time... I know he doesn't quite get what's in the past and future yet.

My friend's daughter is younger than Josh and it's quite crazy how much she can converse, just like a proper adult!... I know most of the regular kids do that, but I was wondering how much of the autistic ones do it?

Sometimes I find it quite difficult not to be able to exchange much with my child. :blush::cry: I talk a LOT to him, I never stop. We work hard to try and have him communicate more with us, but even now it's difficult. I was wondering if it's gonna be a bit better as he gets older?

Thanks ladies :flower: xxx

PS: I forgot to add, we do have conversations sometimes but it will ALWAYS be about his obsessions. He will be happy to engage into a conversation about cars, shapes or letters. Like if we are playing with scrabbles letters, I can ask him tons of questions and he answers me properly and even talks back.

aaH I have just posted a really long reply and it threw me out, for the second time.

Anyway hun, I will have to shorten it now but basically yes it is very possible. My asd ds is now just turned 15 yrs and like you we had virtually nothing until 4-5 years, no parent of a 'nt' child can know the lonliness of this journey. It has been highligted even more so with my subsequent children, but they didn't follow until my son was 10 yrs old.

Keep on with the talking, pointing, questions, observations etc, I got sick of the sound of my own voice sometimes but don't stop. If I had known how my son would come on from those early days I think his diagnosis would have been slightly more bearable. Each year that passes I marvelled at how much he changed how his language had come on and his understanding. As these increase so did the conversation and chatter, to the point sometimes where I would joke and ask him to be quiet for 5 mins. We are now in the moody teens so we are more reserved now, but that is different.

Hope some of that helps hun x:hugs:

Thanks hun. I am looking forward to be able to properly converse with him. Like you say it does get lonely!! Everyone is like ''wow, you're lucky he's so quiet and plays on his own'' But it gets lonely. Most of the time I get pushed away because he prefers being on his own. We do ''force'' some interaction to get him a bit out of his comfort zone and try and teach him that when someone speak to you, you have to look them in the eyes and talk back.... Not play deaf.

It's hard though because he only just turned 3. He does get ''awake'' moments as I called them where it doesn't show he is autistic. More so now that he doesn't drink cow's milk anymore(don't know if there is a concrete link though...).

How do you find it's going with your teen son? I am wondering how it's gonna be when he grows up! I'm very apprehensive. How is your son coping at school, with other kids? (Sorry for all the questions!! We are somewhat new to this and I have about 10 000 000 questions constantly popping into my mind!)

Jess xxx:flower:

I find we have to talk about stuff HE likes kind of thing, he wouldn't understand why you would talk about something for the sake of it lol. He is getting MUCH better though and will now as "how was your day" etc.

I noticed your son is 3, my son didn't hardly speak at 3 and now at 7 you would not notice a speech delay so dont worry xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->