• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

How much would you do in a council house?

T

Tilly

We had an offer to replace our kitchen units from a family member. Not sure if it's a good idea or a bit of a waste? id love it done and it needs updating, but just wanted some good opinions. :)

Well i'd go for it if you think your going to be there for a few years and your happy there, i'd do it if i got a council house and had the money:)

Yes i agree if your planning on stopping for a while id do it too.

Have you spoken to the council about this? They might offer you some money to do it or have been planning on upgrading anyway.

Good idea Kirstin, I didn't think of that! I need to write to them to get permission anyway and the kitchen is a little shoddy and outdated, so maybe they would give a bit of money towards it. Im not sure if we're able to get it done until we've been here 12 months (I need to find out as thats when we become secure tenants) but we are planning on staying here for a good few years, we love the house.

My auntie lives in a council house and shes knocked down walls put a new kitchen in all sorts! shes not planning on going anyware and shes been there for about 7 years so id say if ur planning on staying put then go for it!

Thanks Zara, I have loads of ideas for this place.. just don't want to overdo it if that makes sense and waste money for the council/someone else. But, just say we're here a good 6-7 years or more? (because lets face it, who knows..?) id like it to be a nice home for us all.

im in a coucil flat and we've done quite a nice job so far and cant wait to throw some money at the garden now!:D

xxx

If you're going to be there a while then defo. Like someone else said just check they weren't planning on doing anything first.

The lady that lives next door to my mum replaced the bathroom and tiled it and a couple of months later they were told the council were going to do all the houses kitchens and bathrooms :dohh:

xx

Hello fellow Guildford person. Just to let you know that a friend of mine who has a council house ahs done a lot of work to her house inc an extention. They are looking to buy the council house off the council and the great thing is that the council will sell it to them for the price that the house would be worth BEFORE the work they've done. I know this is not answering the question but I thought you would find it useful!!!

If you're going to be there a while then defo. Like someone else said just check they weren't planning on doing anything first.

The lady that lives next door to my mum replaced the bathroom and tiled it and a couple of months later they were told the council were going to do all the houses kitchens and bathrooms :dohh:

xx
That sucks for her!
Hello fellow Guildford person. Just to let you know that a friend of mine who has a council house ahs done a lot of work to her house inc an extention. They are looking to buy the council house off the council and the great thing is that the council will sell it to them for the price that the house would be worth BEFORE the work they've done. I know this is not answering the question but I thought you would find it useful!!!
hello.. where in Guildford are you?
Thanks for the info! we would like to buy this place.. theres lots of potential. All that puts us off is the fact that our little girls will be sharing a room. It's a fair size, but not big enough as they get older so who knows. Guess only time will tell!

yep! I agree, if its gonna be ur home for a long time, get them done, and enjoy it! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"