How much your 6 month old drink/eat?

CRWx

my little family - complete <3
Reaction score
My DD is 6 months old and she's just started eating 3x a day- breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Since I've introduced the 3rd meal, she's become really fussy with her mid-morning bottle and more often than not doesn't want it. She used to have that bottle between 10-11.30 but for the past week she really hasn't wanted it...

She has a bottle first thing when she wakes up, then she has her breakfast (food), lunch at 12.30 (food) and a bottle before her afternoon nap about 2.30... She'll then play for a little while when she wakes up and has her dinner (food) at 5/5.30 then her bedtime bottle about 7.30/8 before she goes down for the night and sleeps through.

She drinks 7oz or just under with each bottle so she gets about 21oz of formula per day currently plus her food and I offer a sippy cup of water with each meal (which she drinks a teeny amount, if any, of). Not sure if I should worry or not? I worry about her being thirsty! She's gaining absolutely fine and seems more than happy but I'm sure you all know what mummy doubt is like!

Just wondering how she compares to other babies her age? TIA :flower:

Daisy has a bottle on waking (7.30/8) anything (between 4-7oz)
9/9.30 breakfast (food)
12 bottle (between 4-7oz)
1.30/2 lunch (food)
4 bottle (again between 4-7oz)
5.30/6 dinner (food)
7/7.30 bottle (normally 7oz) then bed. Still doesn't sleep through, wakes anytime between midnight and 4am and has 7oz.

But the 12 and 4 o clock bottle can be a it hit and miss, sometimes she wants it sometimes she doesn't.

I would say Willow is doing fine. You have nothing to worry about she's coming along perfectly :) also if you're feeding with pouches like I sometimes do then most of them have water in so she'll also get liquid with food. If she wants more milk she'll definitely let you know with the hangry kid signals :rofl:

The only thing I would make sure to do is offer the milk before any solids. Sounds like she is taking in what she needs though if she's happy and gaining weight :)

Eva is a similar age and her routine is usually:
8am - 7oz bottle followed by porridge
12pm - 7oz bottle followed by food
4pm - 7oz bottle followed by food & pudding
7.30pm - 7oz bedtime bottle

She's always been a big milk drinker but she's starting to fuss with her lunchtime bottle though so I don't think it'll be too long before she drops it. She also has sips of water in either a bottle or sippy cup throughout the day :flower:

At 6 months, we only did 1 meal a day, usually lunch, which she ate a little of but mostly just played with it. Her milk intake didn't change at all and I didn't even offer water yet as she couldn't lift the cup anyway. We added in 3 meals a day by about 7.5 months and I would say we saw the change you're describing at around 9-10 months, which was when she started to drop milk feeds (the nighttime one and then also the mid-morning one, which like you said, got pushed to after lunch and before her nap). We did BLW though and she didn't start to eat in massive amounts until that 9-10 months mark.

I think what you're describing sounds fine. As long as you keep offering formula or water on demand and as much as she wants it, if she's thirsty, she'll drink. They also can get fluids from food too, especially fruit, so she'll pick up a bit that way too. If it's an especially hot day (like today maybe), I'd offer a little extra formula in feeds in case she wants it, particularly if she usually finishes what you offer her anyway. Sounds good to me though.

That sounds like Gracie at that age. She dropped bottles at various times but then picked then up again, she had been on 4 bottles for a while and then went to 5 etc.

I just followed her lead, I made 9oz per feed but she rarely took it all, I offered her water in between but it wasn't ubtil maybe 8-9 months that she started drinking lots. Now she drinks lots of water!

Post 6 months I've always made a bit of a mess with the milk/ food thing. My first two refused a bottle and my milk dried up quickly when I went back to work. So they didn't really have milk to drink after about 8 months. They had lots of dairy and their vitamins. It wasn't ideal but we made it work. My youngest has one definite bottle a day, 7oz at night and I'm in the process of stopping breastfeeding as I'm going back to work. I have her a 5oz bottle yesterday morning and then she ate no breakfast. She has 4oz of milk with her breakfast so I figure that's ok. It is very hard to transition in my experience. My kids just love their food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->