How not to treat a BF-ing mum!

BabyJayne

Me, DH, DD & pregnant
Reaction score
I couldn't believe it when this popped up on my FB feed.

Have a read and see what you think. The response of the manager is absolutely appalling!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU...-The_Greyfriar-Chawton_Hampshire_England.html

I'd be interested to hear what her excuse was?!

I can't think of anything that makes it ok though. I would have thought restaurant/pub/cafe etc owners would be aware by now of the laws regarding breastfeeding in public. It surprises me how many of these stories I still hear.

I've breastfed my girls everywhere and, fortunately, have never been asked to stop. I would be so upset if anyone ever said anything to me.

I genuinely don't understand how a breastfeeding mother offends people. :shrug:

I can't believe they even slate the family for sitting where they did and not in some quiet corner! Their response is just terrible.

Seems the management have seen sense and deleted their response comments (or had them deleted by trip advisor).

As always there are two sides to every story. We are indeed very child and family friendly at The Greyfriar. However, in this instance my wife, after thinking about the matter, decided she had to speak to this lady. The Greyfriar restaurant area was almost empty that day, so there were corner tables available, which afford considerable privacy, away from the bar area. Despite this, this party had chosen to sit at the restaurant table nearest to the bar. Moreover, the lady had also chosen to face the bar customers when feeding her child, rather than feeding with her back to them. To cap it all, the purpose made top which is designed to cover everything was, literally, covering nothing. This is why my wife spoke to the lady – she was displaying her entire breast to everyone in the bar, in circumstances where it was entirely avoidable. We have the full cross-section of people visiting The Greyfriar and I’m afraid many are offended by this type of display. We have a reputation for good hospitality at The Greyfriar and it was in the interests of our other customers and their experience at The Greyfriar that day that my wife had what was always going to be a difficult and delicate conversation. We are very sorry that this family were unhappy with their visit but we must always run the pub with the interest of all our customers in mind.]

The deleted reply.

He just dug himself a bigger hole with that one!

That is terrible :nope:

I would have thought that as a restaurant owner he should be aware of the law that he has no right to ask a breastfeeding mum to leave :nope:

His reply is even worse. So what where she sits. It doesn't even sound like they'd had any complaints about the breastfeeding from any customers who were there. I do think he has dug himself into a deeper hole!

Interesting to read the response, thanks.

It amazes me though that he says they need to consider the other customers (and it doesn't say that anyone had complained) yet they don't consider the law!

As I said before- and it's been said hundreds of times- what is so offensive about a woman feeding her baby?!?

It's ridiculous. unless the mother had her boobs out for all to see and wasn't doing it discreetly?

It literally just doesn't surprise me at all. I had a midwife recoil and pull my curtain around me when I was breastfeeding Lucas in hospital. On the maternity ward. An actual midwife. The mind boggles.

Its so rediculus. I was told by a friend i was odd for feeding my lo over6 months and was sickened i carried on till 22 months when lo self weened. I breast fed in public and i dont think anyone ever noticed i was breast feeding. My sister made a few comments about not liking bf in public as did my dad but after seeing me bf i think it changed their minds

It amazes me some people are still so anti breast feeding. I showed less than alot of womens tops and just used bf tops

This is so bad and the reply is worse!

I cane believe that people still actually live and think like that

Wow! Can't believe he had the nerve to write such a response to just make things much worse, what an idiot. Hope this gets media attention, doubt it will though the media seems equality anti breastfeeding in public.

I'm really hoping to feed this one, and this sort of thing terrifies me, its not the done thing on my family, my previous three have had reasons why I've not been able to feed them, so hoping this one will be slightly less challenging.

https://www.essentialbaby.com.au/ba...ums-want-to-ruin-your-day-20140206-322ie.html

This video sums up my thoughts!

And this happened: Oshawa Councilwoman investigated by CAS for breastfeeding in council meeting

I couldn't believe it when I read it, thankfully CAS did say that they had no fears etc and they have to investigate any complaint no matter how frivolous it may seem. But still, someone had to complain about this for it to be on their radar. Madness!

Ridiculous! But this kind of its only ok if it's discreet attitude exists all over.
I'd want to organise a nurse in there! And sit right at the front and squirt that silly woman in the eye.
If I hadn't weaned at 12m that is.
Disgusting attitude.
Xx

Wow, what ignorance. Why wouldn't breastfeeding mothers want to spend their lives banished to the dark shadows in corner tables?! :wacko:

Poor woman. It's views like these that terrified me about nursing in public and contributed to our very short lived bf journey. When will people just get over themselves??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->