How often do you weigh your baby?

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
My 8 week old has been regularly weighed so far as our HV was still doing home visits. The last home visit was 2 weeks ago and she recommended weighing her again this week.. I hate weigh ins so much, they make me nervous and make me doubt exclusively breastfeeding her, they make me second guess everything for days beforehand. I want to just skip the weigh in and trust in my happy little girl. How important are regular weighings after the initial few weeks?

My LO was only weighed at her check ups every two months, and when she would go in for her vaccines.

Here the midwife visits in the first 6 weeks, she's weighed Emma once since birth (7% loss I think at day 6). I declined her being weighed at 2 weeks because I'd just gotten her to sleep.

I've never had a baby lose weight after birth until Emma but I'm not too worried as she feeds often and has soaking wet nappies constantly.

I think the main weigh ins here are about a week after birth, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks then it goes to every so many months then once a year.

I don't know if I'll bother with plunket, they are the health nurse organisation here.

I've just checked Sophie's We'll Child book and she was weighed on day 9 (up 195g) day 19 (up another 590g) day 34 (up another 360g) day 41 (up another 260g). From there I think it was at 6 weeks then 3 months or something. She piled weight on. I know Emma isn't.

I took him about once a month after the initial weigh ins and then at the recent weigh in I had left it 2.5 months as I knew he was doing well so even if he hadn't put on 'enough weight' in their opinion, then there wasn't exactly anything I could change anyway as he was happy and content and doing well.

If the weigh ins cause you anxiety then I would take her less often because you will know yourself if she is healthy and doing well. Babies put on weight at different rates, some are just naturally petite but some HV's can cause so much anxiety with their chart obsession :hugs:

I am a bad 2nd time mummy I took my son all the time but with my daughter she hasn't been weighed since her 6 week check :wacko: but she is happy, healthy, growing and learning so I know she is doing just fine :shrug:

All of my boys have been weighed a lot. Ds1 had failure to thrive and bad reflux so was weighed every 2 weeks and then monthly etc. He's now weighed twice a year (he's 6.5).
Ds2 was weighed regularly till a couple weeks old and then it's just whenever I take him to the health visitor. (3)
Ds3 was weighed every two days up until landing in PICU at 12 days. Once stable he was weighed daily. He has a few health issues so is weighed 2-3 monthly depending on how he's doing (19 months)

Just to add though if there's no issues you can refuse weigh ins Hun xx

Initially we were literally having them every 2-3 days because of weight issues (like for the first 4-6 weeks), but by 8 weeks, I'd say about once a month up until 6 months and then really only when we saw the HV for development checks (at 8 months and at 2.5 years). I think if all is going well, just focus on feeding and don't worry about the weigh ins. I think unless there is a serious problem, they can be anxiety producing and not very helpful.

I used to take him every week when he was first born, then it tailed off to every couple of weeks, then every few weeks - and now (9 months old) I don't even take him, unless I want to speak to HV about anything (which is rare). I just put him on my digital scales at home once a month and check it against the growth chart in his red book!

Weigh ins are suggested as no more frequently than every two weeks because weight gain should be charted as an average over time NOT in how many actual ounces have been gained/lost over a few days. Obviously in the first two weeks weight loss is checked much more frequently to ensure baby is feeding effectively and to rule out heart conditions and bowel conditions etc. After that once baby is above birth weight and gaining OK, weigh-ins are more about reassuring you that all is OK. If they do the opposite then I wonder what the point is for you. Are there issues with weight gain that have meant you need LO weighed more than monthly? I went to weigh-ins all the time because my LO had been very small at birth and so when she didn't gain quickly there was a lot of worry around her. I knew breastfeeding was not working perfectly as I had a lot of pain and damage, so the weigh-ins were to see how much her poor latching technique was causing her problems or if it was just a problem for me because of the pain. I kept on going after I knew she was doing well just to have someone to talk to!

She's been weighed 7 times since birth and not since April. Most of those were shortly after birth and a couple of later ones because I thought she had reflux and it appeared she hadn't gained much. But it was just a blip she's obviously a chunk. I kind of just go on how she looks!

Thanks ladies, she was weighed often at first as she was poorly and lost 11% of her birth weight but has been gaining well on the 50th percentile for a while now. She does have a heart murmur and she's seeing a cardiologist on Thursday but if they need a weight then I would imagine they'll weigh her at the appointment.

Not since 2 weeks. Which was the last time we saw any kind of health care provider... I imagine they will want to weigh her at her six week check but that's not for two weeks. Or a week and a bit.. I need to check the calendar. My brain is too sleepy lol. But it will be about a month between weigh ins =)

My youngest is 8 months old and hasn't been weighed officially since 6 weeks. All the baby clinics in my area were closed down, the only place I can go and get her weighed are the scales outside the toilets at Mothercare! I've done it once. The only time HV will weigh babies here is if there are worries about their weight. I know she's growing fine so I'm not too bothered that she doesn't get weighed, but it would've been nice to compare her weight to her brother and sister at similar times.

My youngest was weighed several times in the first 8 weeks (between the standard weigh ins and hospital needing to do dosages for medication) then once a month after that. I take him out of my own curiosity really. I like knowing what he weighs. For me, the weigh ins stop me from worrying. I will find it hard when they tell me to stop going every 4 weeks lol! My home scales are not that great and fluctuate by around 0.5KG each time you step on them so don't want to just weigh him at home.

My older two were premature so were weighed frequently. My girl did loose weight for no apparent reason and struggled to start gaining again and had to be put on a high calorie diet and even then still had consecutive months she would gain nothing so both were taken to be weighed once a fortnight until around 9 months then once a month until around 2 years old. They looked so little I found it reassuring to take them.

Sounds like Juniper is doing fab! Emma is also on the 50th and was weighed today. Here it's more relaxed I think as the midwife comes to your house and you have the same midwife all pregnancy. I had the same midwife with Sophie and we are good friends now. I wouldn't bother taking Emma to be weighed elsewhere!

Isla is 13 weeks and I think she has been weighed twice! I really don't like health visitors for a variety of reasons and won't go out of my way to take her to get her weighed! Like you I think it's more stress than it's worth!

My son got weighed at 6 week check. Then i took him last week at 9 weeks.

My HV said its standard where we are for monthly weighs between 2-6 months then 6 monthly till the 2 year review. Ds1 had reflux and struggled with weight gain, I was always so anxious but they told they only worry when they drop two or more centiles. Not sure if this is the same everywhere but hopefully will help you feel a little less anxious :flower:

We had weigh ins every 2 days for 2 weeks in the nicu. Every week for 2 weeks and we're now on fortnightly as long as he gains.

But that is due to iugr and the face he dropped over 10%

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->