How often newborn feed?

Laurenmomma

Reaction score
I had my little boy at 8am on Sunday morning, he went onto the boob within the first hours and had a few little feeds over the morning,

He was sick quite a bit at 2pm then didn't feed much after just 1 or 2 before we went home at 7, when at home he was sick again but it was mainly mucus and old blood as he seemed to have swallowed a lot of fluid during the birth.

He hardly fed and thru the night only fed once or twice and a couple of feeds for a minute, in the morning he did have a good 5 minute feed and a few throughout the day
Then last night he had a couple of feeds and 2 through the night although he just doesn't seem to stay on very long?

My question is how often or how long should he be feeding for?

He's still really sleepy and just fed but only stays on for about 3 minutes and falls asleep, I move him about but then he's not interested in boob, he doesn't seem to have long slow rhythmic sucks as I remember ds1 doing

Is it just the newborn stage? Midwife didn't seem too concerned x

Hi again laurenmomma! My little boy was born sunday 8th and I just went through the same thing last week.

Breastfeeding support woman said feed him every 4hours even if he doesn't seem to want to wake for it. If he goes longer than this glucose levels drop making him even more sleepy. Strip him down to his nappy to feed him, if he sleeps while feeding, run a finger up his foot, jiggle or squeeze your breast a bit, or use a cold flannel on his head. These will startle him and encourage the sucking reflex.

I know they seem mean especially when he seems so sleepy but the nurses showed me to do it because he really needs feeding every 4 hours. Aim to keep him on for 30 mins.

Next week he will wak

E up demanding feeds.
I'm typing this one handed feeding right now lol

Keep going! Xx

Haha thank you! I normally squeeze a bit to rub on his lips to entice him but he just doesn't seem interested! I think the longest he has fed is 5 minutes!

Il give them all a go! As soon as I pick him up he just falls asleep x

I must have a lazy baby!!!
Just changed him put water on his bum n he's just not bothered! Still snoozing!
His nappies arnt wet either just pooped a few times

Is it too early to start worrying? x

Wouldn't worry too much yet, very early days. I would keep doing what you are, waking him for feeds etc. They will weigh him at your 5 day visit (if its the same as here) see what his weight is and if he is still not having many wet nappies talk to mw about it then. Am sure he is fine though just being a lazy boy lol

My bub feeds alot but he is a piggy! Was just over 9lb born so a big boy anyway. xxx

He's been sick more and hasn't fed since before 9am!?!

I'm gona take him the hospital with me now and get them to check him, I think he looks quite yellow too but don't know if its me worrying x

if he has a touch of a jaundice, this might make him very sleepy. I've been through this with both DD and DS. I used to wake both up during first two weeks and it was frustrating. Once the jaundice was gone, they both fed around the clock, sometimes every hour.

They do get sleepy with jaundice. Hopefully the hospital will put your mind at rest. Let us know how u go xxx

At that stage you really need to be waking and getting him to feed 3 hourly at the very minimum. They can be so difficult to wake, so strip him down to just a nappy and run his feet and hands; basically irritate them awake!

It may seem mean but frequent feeds are essential at this stage to establish a good milk supply and to give the baby everything he needs x

I use to have to put my first in a sink full of water to play for a minute to wake him up enough to eat. It was hard

My LO was like this in the very early days. She was a jaundiced and sleepy baby. I had to wake for feeds at first. Strip your LO down to his nappy and express a drop of milk onto your nipple and stroke the nipple from his nose down to his mouth to encourage him to latch on. If he falls asleep while feeding then gently blow on his bare arm or tickle his hand to encourage him to start feeding again. Hope things improve soon :)

We got out the hospital yesterday! He was on antibiotics for 48 hours for an infection somewhere!

He's a lot better, not vomiting but still sleeps a lot and I'm having to wake him to feed him especially at night or he would go 6 hours without a feed x

Thanks for the update, glad he is better. Keep going with waking him up with feeds and in a few days he will gain more interest in it. Xx

He seems to be cluster feeding!

He will have a few really good feeds of a morning and then between 6 and 10 too! Thru the day he goes a bit longer and thru the night too!

I hope my supply is ok for him after him being sick and not feeding then goin to cluster feeding? I can feel my boobs filling when he hasn't fed for a couple of hours and can feel my let down so does this mean its enough? x

He would soon let you know if your supply wasn't sufficient for him, don't worry! He might be cluster feeding to encourage your body to make a bit more, which is entirely normal too.

Keep it up, you're doing really well x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->