How often should babies poop?

izzy29

Reaction score
My baby is 1 week old and everytime the midwife is out she asks about wet and dirty nappies which is usually grand. Only thing is she didnt have one yesterday and still not had one today, loads of wet ones and rifting like a good one but just not dirty nappies, is this normal? she is probably preparing a massive one for me now. I am breastfeeing and occassionally topping up with formula cause she is a good feeder

My MW used to ask all every visit - think its just to check everything is 'working' properly!
LO is FF and went about 48hrs without a dirty nappy which she said was fine, though it was 'quite a large one' so be prepared!!

Tiffany does this, then usually does a couple or totally fills a nappy. I give her some boiled water if she's a bit constipated and that seems to work pretty well. Another thing my MW suggested is boiled water with a couple of teaspoons of apple juice or brown sugar. Boiled water on its own has worked pretty well for us though. x

When Lexie was first born she poo'ed every 2-3 days. I was concerned but it became more regular as the weeks went by. I heard it's normal for them not to poo for a few days.

Erin never poos everyday its usually every 2-3 days for her. xx

It's different for all babies and will change as they get older. When Hannah was first born it was every day and a half or so although sometimes it stretched to as long as 3 days

In the hospital I was told they should have as many poopy diapers a day as they are days old. (Mine far exceeded that and still does - he's 15 weeks and still poops 5-6 times a day!) My neice only pooped once a week when she was first born and the doctors said that was ok, too. I think it's fine that she has as many wet diapers as she does as that's also an indicator of them getting enough to eat/drink.

would you believe she has had 3 since I posted this,think I was just worrying cause the midwife was coming and I knew she would ask me!

I think the exclusively breastfed babies can go at least up to a week - I'm pretty sure its 10 days or something, but, to be safe, lets say a week - before its considered 'constipation', because breastmilk is so perfectly designed for their bodies that some babies use pretty much ALL of the breast milk, leaving nothing really to push through.

Although, the midwife who told me about it, said that once its been 10ish days since a poop they will do a MASSIVE poo to clear out their system, and they get a little distressed about 12 hours before they actually poop because they're not used to the feeling of stuff moving through their gut.

I know with Jasper though he poos about every second time he feeds - its a bit gross, but he'll be sucking and then start arching and fussing, grabing and pulling at the boob and then let out a massive wet fart followed by yucky goopy wet sound... and then resume sucking as if nothing had happened! Literally every 2nd feed! I can now predict it within about 10 seconds before he poops... my OH is both impressed and disgusted by my accuracy!

BTW congrats on the three poos... glad you have something to report to he MW :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->