How often should baby move?

Sarah125

Reaction score
My midwife asks me at each appointment if baby moves at least 10 times in a day. I have a kick counter on my pregnancy phone app and it says baby should move 10 times in less than an hour.
Can anyone clarify?
Thank you:thumbup:

My midwife says 10 movements a day as well x

I think it is all specific to you.
I don't count the kicks that specifically, I just ensure I make a point of remembering when she last moved or kicked and then next time etc etc... Last night my baby hasn't moved for about 3-4 hours so I laid on my side and drank cold lemonade and she got moving again!!
My baby defo doesn't move 10 times an hour!!! She is asleep a lot of the time, and she will be so big now that she hasn't much room to move and kick as powerfully as before.
Not sure if that helps!

Babies don't move all day every hour. They're actually sleeping for most of the day. By now, you should be able to tell their pattern. My little girl sleeps during the day, and moves constantly in the evening. I don't use my kick counter because I just have never had to as I know her schedule. During her active hours, use you chart and see if theyre moving 10 times an hour.

Thanks. That's the first time I've looked at the kick counter bit on the app and got a wee bit concerned as she doesn't move all the time - obviously she needs to sleep at some point :haha: When she is awake she definitely kicks at least 10 times in the hour so I presume that's what the counter means.
Thank you for the advice ladies :thumbup:

I mentioned this on another post. In the US, they seem to be more into counting 10 kicks in two hours, not 10 kicks in one day. So the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologistssites recommend it, and sites like this go on about it.

We seem more chilled out here in the UK. But I prefer to err on the side of caution so I always aim to feel 10 kicks / movements etc in 2 hours at some point in the day (ideally, in 2-hour sessions twice a day) and I always do, even on quiet days.

There are less and less medical professionals who rely on kick counts, simply because it's not a reliable indicator! Babies don't move every hour. My doctor simply asks me "still feeling baby move?" and obviously I am. I hear baby's heartbeat at every dr appt, my uterus is measuring on track, so I don't worry. Don't worry about the number of movements.

My midwife said kick counting is not reliable, and therefore they don't recommend it.

I know her pattern, and anything different I am to ring immediately.

My dc says 10 movements in an hour but I guess is different with each baby. My first baby hardly moved 10 times/day but the doctor at that time said it was ok. The baby was ok and he's a very healthy and active child. This one now moves 8-10 times/hour, several times a day, and I am curious to see how he's going to be after he's born.
I'd say every baby is different and I know that this could cause lots of anxiety to their mommies. Anyway, if at any moment you feel there's something wrong with the baby, call your doctor or MW and see what they say. Better safe than sorry!

I have to monitor movement until my next appointment too. They told me to count 10 movements and see how long it takes to get to ten. I get 10 in less than a hour at some point during the day. If your's is less active, just wait until the mot active time and try to count 10 movements. It may take an hour, it may take 5 until you reach 10, but you should have 10 movements within 24 hours.

Mw said ten times a day or a change in pattern...

He used too be ten times an hour... But now he's bigger I read they're more sleepy and he wouldn't move ten times an hour every hour.. But more then ten a day...
I think it's about knowing your bub and being comfy with their movements

A baby should be moving 10 x per hour unless asleep. Most of the movement you don't feel because they are not shifting positions or moving their legs. A movement counts as flexing their fingers, sucking their thumb, wiggling toes, etc but you don't feel those things. My OBGYN always counted movements by using a stethoscope. He could hear my son making small movements and he would stand there as long as it took and count out 10 movements. I asked him why once as it worried me and he said a baby should move 10 x hourly unless asleep.

But the amount of kicks and larger movements should be 10 movements daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->