How old for a seat belt?

CarlyP

Mum of 2 & baking #3
Reaction score
My son is 4 will be 5 in December, he is currently in his car seat but he is so tall that his straps won't click in place anymore so we have been putting his seat belt on while still in his car seat.

What are the recommendations for a seat belt?

We've got a car seat that did have a five point harness, but now that Madeleine is bigger the seatbelt is designed to just do up over the car seat.

I think the recommendations are that you can use a normal seat belt (one that fits over a child car seat) from the age of 4 and when your child is 18kg or more.

We've just bought a booster, it says 15kgs - 36kgs.

He'll be fine then. My Nephew is 4 in September and he's in just a normal seat belt as he's so tall that none of the harnesses fit him.

it depends on what car seat and if it ment to be used with the adult seat belt

Think were just going to use the booster seat with a seat belt.

We put Roxy in a booster seat with the normal car seat belt as of a few months ago--she's 4 years old. She was way too big for the 5 point harness system and the belt in her seat just wouldn't fit over her and buckle without a struggle anymore. I think the size of the child is more important than the age. Just make sure that they understand not to play with the seat belt.

We put Roxy in a booster seat with the normal car seat belt as of a few months ago--she's 4 years old. She was way too big for the 5 point harness system and the belt in her seat just wouldn't fit over her and buckle without a struggle anymore. I think the size of the child is more important than the age. Just make sure that they understand not to play with the seat belt.

We've had more trouble now that he can open his window!

We've had more trouble now that he can open his window!

I can relate! :haha: Thank goodness my car has window locks.

simple solution to window opening - put them in the middle seat :)

They need to be in a booster seat, not JUST the seatbelt. Our law here in TX is they have to be 4'9 or 8yrs old to get out fo the booster seat. Landon is over 8 but still in his booster seat and will remain there until the seat belt fits him properly...about 4'9...and passes this 5 step test :)

https://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

If I put him in the middle LO will annoy him lol

We have noticed that while he's in his booster, the seat belt seems to be a bit to far up his neck?

We have a vauxhall astra estate, but my dad has a honda CRV and he's fine in his booster, seat belt looks comfy

depends where you are...law is 8 years in a booster seat here.

We have noticed that while he's in his booster, the seat belt seems to be a bit to far up his neck?

We have a vauxhall astra estate, but my dad has a honda CRV and he's fine in his booster, seat belt looks comfy

i have always used a high back booster seat, they have a bit for routing the seat belt so it is in the right place

If your in the uk they do these to position the seat belt away from the childs neck https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs..._productId_158629_langId_-1_categoryId_165597
im sure if you just put 'seatbelt positioner in google, you will find something :)

If your in the uk they do these to position the seat belt away from the childs neck https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs..._productId_158629_langId_-1_categoryId_165597
im sure if you just put 'seatbelt positioner in google, you will find something :)

Brill, will pick one up tomorrow :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->