How old is old enough for "the talk"

M

MommaDukes723

Well, just as the title asks...How old is old enough for the "where babies come from" talk? My son will be 6 next month. Me and my fiance have been TTC for about 9 months now. My son is DESPERATE for a little sister (or brother is ok too he says). I keep telling him that God has a lot of babies to give to a lot of people, and when its our turn, God will give us a baby. I have PCOS and its difficult to conceive. My son gets upset at times because "its not our turn yet" and he keeps asking God for a baby. I'm worried that if I tell him now the "details" of where babies come from, he will be after me and my fiance to "do it and have a baby." I'm wondering if i should wait until after I get pregnant to tell him, or should I wait for him to ask. I mean he has already asked but he was 3...then again at 4, and he hasnt asked since. I just dont want him to hear it elsewhere or to never really tell him. (My mother gave me a book to read called "So thats how I was born" when I was 12!!! 12!!!! I already knew by then from my already sexually active friends) I dunno...what do u guys think??

What do u think? When did u tell ur kids and how did u tell them?? Did u wait for school to teach sex ed and let them learn it there???

I think it's important to let the child guide what you tell them and when, obviously it's good that you're thinking about it as you need to prepare yourself. As in, what you would say if he asks certain things.

My kids have asked questions about where babies come from, and they are so far still happy with the explanation that when a man and a lady want to make a baby, the man gives the lady a seed that grows with the egg in the lady's belly.

I wouldn't push the issue, but maybe an age appropriate book would be helpful, there are quite a few out there at different levels and content so it's worth a quick google of reviews to find one you'd be comfortable with.

I certainly don't think leaving it all to school sex ed is the way forward, kids will pass round all sorts of misinformation up until then, and will likely be extremely embarrassed about it if they don't have any knowledge prior to that :flow:

Good luck x

Get the book mummy laid an egg,
Both my kids knew about how babies were made from a young age x

When I was pregnant my son was 7 and asked me "how did the baby get in there?" I just told him "God put it there." He seemed happy with that answer so I left it there. When he askes more questions I will probably explain a bit more. xxx

I think 6 is still a bit young for a full explination,my son is 10 and hasnt asked me yet but if he did I would consider telling him now.My daughter is 6 and I feel it wouldnt be nice to go into detail at the moment.
Just tell him that you and daddy have decided you want a baby but it wont happen right away and you have to wait for an egg to grow in your tummy before you can have a baby.

My kids learned when they were 5ish...not everything, but age appropriate. I would rather them hear it frim me than some twisted version at school, or worse?

my son is 6 and when i was preggers with number 3 he only wanted to know how it got out not in . I think if he asked me now i would tell him as he is quite switched on about things , but if he doesnt ask i wont offer the information just yet. I know some kids in his class know what sex is though. They are all different , but i am waiting till i get asked lol

I personally think 6 is too young, you might be reading too far into things, your son might not even ask? and if he does a simple answer like god gives us a baby in mummys tummy may be enough at this age? sounds like thats what he thinks already. I am all for ''the talk'' but I could not imagine giving my almost 6 year old the talk yet, they are still so young and at 6.

I think books are great on this. I don't see a problem in letting them know in an age appropiate way from an early age that it doesnt involve fairy dust or anything else supernatural :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->