How safe is buying a used pump?

starshinebby

Proud new mother!
Reaction score
I'm in search of a Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump and came across a lot of used ones being sold. I was wondering how safe it would be to buy a used pump? Has anyone bought a used pump before?

Just curious as some are at least $100 less than a new one, and if it works just as well then I will save $100 and buy used.

That particular pump I wouldn't buy used. Its an open system which means milk can get into parts that can't be sterilised, breed bacteria and travel back through the tubing. Medela recommend it as a single user item. If you're buying second hand, make sure it's a closed system so all of it can be sterilised, otherwise it's not safe.

Thanks, I forgot that brand isn't a closed system. I actually found a brand that is a closed system for a lot less (it's about $90 after everything) and the reviews are great. So I won't be going used after all.

I got this pump off my best friend once she was done with it after 2 kids. We were about to buy it new till my girlfriend gave me hers. But I wouldn't have done it with a stranger.

I got this pump off my best friend once she was done with it after 2 kids. We were about to buy it new till my girlfriend gave me hers. But I wouldn't have done it with a stranger.

Why wouldn't you buy one used off someone you didn't know? If its a closed system there isn't anything wrong with it really. You're just getting the pump/motor used all other parts would be bought used of course.

Why wouldn't you buy one used off someone you didn't know? If its a closed system there isn't anything wrong with it really. You're just getting the pump/motor used all other parts would be bought used of course.

Oh sorry - to clarify, would totally get a closed system used off anyone! The one I wanted was an open system - but in end I got my girlfriends pump and it is a open system, but I'm comfortable with that.

Oh sorry - to clarify, would totally get a closed system used off anyone! The one I wanted was an open system - but in end I got my girlfriends pump and it is a open system, but I'm comfortable with that.

Ah, no, makes total sense. I'd get an open system off a close friend or family member. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->