How soon to take baby out?

Poppeteer

Reaction score
Might be a really stupid question.....

...but, how soon after baby is born, will I be able to take baby out (if all is well, touch wood!)

I always assumed within a few days, but have just been told by MIL it's not healthy for baby to go out in the first few months as it's cold and too much bacteria etc??? I'll die if I have to stay cooped up for that long!!! :hissy:

I took Leo out for the first time when he was 6 days old. My midwife said to me its not the babies that they would be worried about (as long as theyre nicely wrapped up) its you. As long as you take it easy when you go out because it could cause too much blood loss if you do too much.

xx

Jacob went out a 4 days old and he is fine! Whenever you feel comfortable I guess x

we took Tyler out at 5 days old but only for an hour!!

As Sophie said...it's not baby that could get poorly, it's you that is more at risk of infection etc as you will be quite weak.

I've done it before...feel right as rain and gone out a week after birth thinking I'm superwoman then started bleeding real bad and feeling dizzy, weak etc. Just beware, this happens even if you feel up to it. Take it easy at 1st and if people wanna see you both, then tell them to come to you (and bring a pot of stew/soup:thumbup:)

I took Brooke out to the hospital and then to Tesco's quickly when she was 2 days old.

I try not to take her out for long or unless i need to because its so cold out and everyones full of germs and bugs during the winter

I guess in the winter you need to give them time to build up their defenses a bit. But a few months (according to your MIL) seem too long to stay cooped up indoors! I'd give them a week or so, depending on the weather and how you're recovering. Don't stress over it though, you'll know when you feel ready.

was bout 4-5 days with kaitlin but september was mild so probably a little longer this time as its winter

I stayed in the hospital for two days after LO was born, then usually go home. I guess if it is cold/flu season be cautious where you take LO in the first few weeks.

My son had a severe cold @ 5 weeks and was in the hospital. He could not breathe well at all. That fear alone keeps me in line this time if OH wants to drag baby to family up north.

That's a good question hun, thanks for asking, it wasn't something I had thought about.x

ooh I dont know the correct amount babe as not had children yet but didnt wanna read and run, good question though. My friend has a 2 yr old and she had a c section....we took little Finlay out within the 6 week recovery period, prob like 3 weeks i dont think she took him out before cos she had no one to help her!!

Your MIL is talking rubbish. A few days should be fine, like others have said though, it's yourself you need to watch. Babies need to be exposed to other people's germs at some point so they can start to build up their own immune systems, but sure, overdoing it too soon isn't wise.

I had my other 2 in summer so i guess a little different , But they went out around 6 days old i think for a few hours . xxx .

Few months? Thats a bit severe! Maybe a week or so before you go out out but in the car and to someones house should be fine before.

I was born October 31, and my mom had me out on NOVEMBER 2ND.

:rofl:

i took my daughter out 4 days old. it does babies good to get fresh air and if they are a little jaundice the sunlight does them good. my midwife said its not the babies that shouldnt go out its the mother. she said i should stay in for 10 days till my womb contracts back to normal. i only went for a little stroll and had a short trip to the supermarket so i did not over do it. i think i would go mad if i had to stay in for over a week!

I did notice you were a halloween baby! Love it! I wanted a baby born end of October just so I could have halloween themed birthdays! The closest one I have is my eldest born the end of september.

I never knew if you celebrate it up where you guys are? and in UK? :dance:

I did notice you were a halloween baby! Love it! I wanted a baby born end of October just so I could have halloween themed birthdays! The closest one I have is my eldest born the end of september.

Yes we celebrate it in Canada.. I think it's almost more fun for adults than it is for the kids to be honest haha most "grown ups" I know go out to costume parties after the trick or treating is over.

Halloween themed parties are fun when you're little ~ there's sooo many creative ideas around food and games and stuff:)

However, being older now, lol.. I typically go out "for my birthday" on November 1st, as on October 31st it's Halloween parties & I like to have my own day? lol

Celebrate is a strong word for it here in the UK. Lots of parents dress their kids up and go trick or treating. Lots of teenagers use it as an excuse for a party. But it's not a major holiday here and a lot of people think badly of it. Trick or treating is seen by many as begging and some more conservative and poorly informed people think that it is a satanic celebration :dohh:

Then there are us Pagans, for whom it is a spiritual festival.

I'm in the UK and we have halloween costume party's every year. We all dress up (Adults and Children) have some food, go trick or treating and have great fun.

To the OP Grace was just over 2 weeks when we first took her out for a short walk xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->