How the hell do you deal...

Hi ladies, thank you for your support. Oh and I are really struggling these days but trying to get through it. They lost his application, they denied us disability because he is still on the waiting list, our house isn't selling despite a 20k price hit (and this move will cost 20k). Its just.... What next? Farkkkkk. I wish I never left British Columbia.

And I have no respite. Oh's family won't help anymore. Apparently pretentious snobs are embarrassed of my handicapped kid. Wont miss that.

Sounds like you have alot going on right now! Hang in there!!!:hugs:

Shezza I just want to say thank you, your experience us very like ours. Aliss I reeeeally recommend Makaton, do you have it there, or similar?

i know how you guys feel . comparing children is the most soul destroying thing. My DD is not creative in the least and i see other kids drawing pictures and having little tea parties etc it makes me sad.... but then i guess those kids cant count to over 100 :rofl:

i always try and remind myself theres always someone out there struggling more than us and try to be grateful. so not easy though. i avoid the preschool board as much as poss x

I try to avoid the threads but quite often end up reading them and wishing I hadn't.

It's so tough-I've stopped seeing one if my best friends because her son who's the same age is so much more advanced and it makes me feel like I'm useless even though I know Esther's delay isn't my fault. I've arranged to meet up with a jinx of friend in a couple of weeks time and I've planned if for when Esther's at Playschool so that I don't have to see he 3 year old trying to play with my 4 1/2 year old who doesn't have a clue how to play and won't talk to her either!!

You know you've got a whole load of support here so don't leave. Sometimes it's harder than others and it sounds liked you are going through a lot at the moment. I have times when I couldn't give a monkies what other people think and then I have other times when I sit there and just want my daughter to be 'normal' because I don't want to deal with inane questions etc. hang on in there :)

Hi ladies, thank you for your support. Oh and I are really struggling these days but trying to get through it. They lost his application, they denied us disability because he is still on the waiting list, our house isn't selling despite a 20k price hit (and this move will cost 20k). Its just.... What next? Farkkkkk. I wish I never left British Columbia.

And I have no respite. Oh's family won't help anymore. Apparently pretentious snobs are embarrassed of my handicapped kid. Wont miss that.

I hear you on every front! I'm in Ontario but the waitlists for my area are INSANE.

And once Claire got her diagnosis, MIL (who was desperately wanting to have her overnight for like 3 nights at a time) decided that Claire was "too much" and will take her once a month... if that. Which is fine, it is her loss.

But it is tough! We try to mix with friends who have kiddos the same age but Claire is just so different and if they either don't understand Autism or haven't grown up with her (therefore used to her) it doesn't work. It breaks my heart. All I see is this amazing little girl, all they see are the weird behaviours (well, weird to them. Normal for us) and back away.

I can't believe they lost your application!!! WTF?

Unfortunately I haven't heard of Makaton until you started doing it Sandi. :nope: Claire is verbal now, but if you splice what she says which is echoaliac vs her actual words she doesn't say much on her own. You can tell when she switches from perfect english (scripted) to very baby-babble (her words).

I may look up Makaton, but I'm not sure it'd work for her. :nope:

You do get used to it. My son is 10 now and honestly it doesn't phase me. He is him :)

Unfortunately I haven't heard of Makaton until you started doing it Sandi. :nope: Claire is verbal now, but if you splice what she says which is echoaliac vs her actual words she doesn't say much on her own. You can tell when she switches from perfect english (scripted) to very baby-babble (her words).

I may look up Makaton, but I'm not sure it'd work for her. :nope:

You'd be surprised. i know our Makaton is based on BSL but if it was something you chose to do just at home between yourselves there would be no harm. I didnt think it would work, and I hated the idea of having to learn what was essentially a new language but omg, it paid off.

Thanks ladies. That Makaton looks quite interesting thank you, but I have a good update.

We finally found a private preschool academy that was willing to take him. The catch is a huge one, it means I have to drive him there & back twice a day (4x) and it is 30 minutes from the home so yay... which is about 80km driving a day, 5 days a week. And, total, it's half of OH's wages. But he gets an inclusive preschool AND a 1:1 behavioural therapist several hours a week (who also spends time in the class), he is very well qualified and it's a bilingual school but mostly English which is nice. I have no idea how long I am going to continue to pay $1600 (no typo) a month but we'll see how long we can do this.

Meanwhile we will be eating mac n cheese for a bit lol. He starts Monday and is begging to go already lol

The social worker came by too and said she couldn't help him as he didn't speak French. yay.

It's great you have found somewhere for him :) Yikes at the cost tho!!!

My son really came on brilliantly when he started school x

Glad you have found somewhere but wow that is some cost! Have a look at a UK blog called 'agirlcalledjack'. She was feeding her and her son on £10 a week and she posts some fab very low cost meals.

That social worker though!...just grrr for you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->