How to continue breastfeeding

sixtwelve09

Reaction score
Hello all, wed I gave birth to my daughter and she nursed all night. Literaly. Im new to breastfeeding so spoke with a lactation consultant this morning who said it was a bad latch. We finally got our latch right but my nipples are still sore and bleeding, it is excrutiating to sit through 20-30mins of her feeding out of either of them. Im using lanolin but im not sure how to proceed. I do not want to bottle feed but i really need some alternative while my nipples heal. Any advice?

You could try a nipple shield. It should help, although I never used one. I've heard that baby gets used to it and can be a hard habit to break, so I would only use it when you really need it. Medela makes the best lanolin cream also. Much easier to apply than any other I tried. Goes on more like an oil so not as much pressure on already sore nipples. Try and let them breathe as often as possible as well. Breastfeeding can be really tough at first, but the rewards are well worth it. My DD is nearly one and feeding times are still my favorite times of the day :). You can do it mamma! It gets SO much better!

I was able to get my lo latched on using a nipple shield starting at about 2 weeks old. He was always so hungry that he had no patience to learn to latch. lactation consultants suggested trying the nipple shield and it worked beautifully. Yes it was a pain to hold the shield the breast the child and the support pillow. I really wished I had another set of arms. Gradually he started to feed without the shield for some parts of the feed and one day just didn't want it. He was less than a month old. I believe the shield helped him with latching and also helped me get used to breastfeeding.
Hang in there for just a little longer and it will start to get easier.

I also had a bad latch for the first 2 days although the midwives in the hospital kept telling me it was fine. Luckily my community midwife spent some time observing me feeding and pointed out where I was going wrong. By that time, my nipples had already started to crack and bleed, I was having to squeeze DH's hand every time she latched because the pain was so bad. Once we got the latch sorted, my nipples were much better within a day or two and now I barely feel anything when she latches on.

X

Even though they are cracked and bleeding now, if your latch is now good then they can and will heal even while you are feeding from them (like a pp said a few days and it'll be so much better).

Also, get some rosehip oil to help heal your poor nipples. Best wishes and I hope it gets easier.

I really can't recommend a breast shield. If you've been having latch trouble, the introduction of the shield can be a step backward in cementing the habit of a good latch because the latch required for nursing from a shield is different from that required for nursing straight from the breast. Shields have also been shown to cause a decrease in supply because the breast isn't receiving the same stimulation as latching directly on. Honestly, I would just continue to have regular visits with that lactation consultant to make sure you're regularly getting a good latch and continue to nurse directly from the breast. Like pp said, as long as the latch has been corrected, the nipple damage won't continue and your nipples will heal even while you nurse. I know it hurts badly, I really do, but the pain should lessen quickly once the latch has been corrected as long as you're militant about maintaining a proper latch and then you can avoid any possible further latch problems caused by using a shield. You will get through this and it will become just a distant memory very soon and you'll be so glad that you toughed it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->