how to cope with labor pains/contractions? advice?

emeeorevan

Expecting Miracle #3
Reaction score
I'm sure this sounds funny coming from a third timer, but do any ladies have advice on how to cope with labor pains and contractions?
I had epidurals with both previous sons but meds were stopped about an hour or two prior to pushing so I know I can deal with the actual birth but how to deal with the contractions?
I have been having strong irregular contractions all day and until now I had forgotten what I was like when I am in pain. (
*music is out of the question! When I'm in pain I need it to be quiet or I start screaming at people to shut up.
* I hate being touched
* I HAVE to move. I was stuck in the car a little while ago and had 3 strong contractions in the 30 min drive home, I had to squirm in my seat and move about moaning and panting through each one.
*I tend to tense up and m body "fights" the contractions, I don't know how to relax
*I hold my breath but don't realize it
anyone else like me? Anything work for you? I plan to try for med free this time but I'm getting scared of how I will handle it based on these irregular contractions.

Im ftm and gave birth recently. Im generally very verbal and panicky. I was honestly so worried about not coping but with each contaction I focused on breathing, the start and the peak of my contractions and told myself it would pass. I had a back labor and I contracted every 3 minutes for 26 hours but my cervix wasnt doing so great so I ended up with pitocin and epidural but if I didnt have to get any interventions I couldve done it all naturally med free.

Breathe deep. Never shallow. Try to get 5 to 7 breaths per contraction. 1. Is for you 2. Is for contraction 3. Is for baby the rest is to remain focused. I also have a birthing ball, rebozos, different positions I'll try such as hands and knees, baby dancing, squats, and messages and music. Although I have a high tolerance for pain I like quiet as well so when it gets ton much for me it will be dim and quiet

TENS machine. Definitely helped take edge off and of nothing else gave you something other than the contraction to think about.

I have a habit of tensing during contractions. You have to constantly constantly tell yourself in your mind "RELAX" keep looking at yourself for signs of tensing when a contraction is on and if you notice you've clenched your muscles make your mind say "RELAX" and give a very exaggerated relaxing movement, let go of the tension in your neck, drop your shoulders, let go of any tightness in your tummy muscles and open your hands to a relaxed grip if they were closed. Then do this again as soon as you notice you've tensed again.

Labour is very mental, if you can stay calm and relaxed then you can stay on top of it.

I was induced with my first labour and had gas and air.

Once contractions were coming pretty fast, I just stayed calm and concentrated on my breathing. It had to be silent in the room, luckily the midwife was softly spoken so it was only the DH that got told not to speak!!
Also, I tried to stay upright and keep walking for as long as possible to speed things up. My labour was 2 hr 17mins :)

Movement and don't forget to have a wee! But being active helped me. Xxx

I was going to post a thread like this earlier, I'm a second time mum but I didn't handle labour well at all the first time round so this time I'm looking for advice just like you are.

Sounds like it won't be long for you now :)

TENS machine. Definitely helped take edge off and of nothing else gave you something other than the contraction to think about.

how do i get my hands on a tens machine in the US?

Do you guys not use these? They're definitelying worth it but hadn't realised they were unavailable over there.

Water can be good also.

I had never heard of a tens machine until this forum. I will take a look in Amazon but at this rate she may be here before id get it in the mail with all of the holiday shipping going on!
Water sounds like a great idea and ill probably labor at home as long as possible in the bath until I have to go to the hospital. But unfortunately my hospital doesn't offer a birthing pool or water of any type (showers are the only thing available and they are not in the delivery rooms.)

while I have my babies early and big, I do not have short labors. Ds#1 was spontaneous birth 24 hours in active labor at hospital, ds#2 was an induction ( really just pitocin aided labor) and lasted22 hours from admitting til birth. It was horrible in the hospital ad I was told not to move and stay laying on my side, I had an iv and then an epidural with both. Wanna go med free this time but I've been told the IiV is required or hospital policy(saline IV only, so its in place for emergencies, blood or antibiotics).
I've never been offered any type of pain relief other than an epidural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->