How to give baby medicine!!!

Flower

Reaction score
Hey girlies,

Well Jensen has finally caught our dreaded lurgey!!!

Trying to give him Calpol is a nightmare!!! We've got one of those syringe things, and we try to put it as far back in his cheek as possible, but the monkey just pushes it all out with his tongue again. We've tried whipping the bottle straight in afterwards - but that doesn't work either!

So anyone got any tips on how to actually keep the medicine in him and not all over the place!

Ta x

Hope someones got some good advice. All I do is put it in and follow with a syringe of milk. You could try massaging his throat to try and get him to swallow?

I have a question tho, why are all baby medicines cherry flavoured? My baby panadol is and so is the Nilstat for thrush. She hates it, lol

Hi. We have to give LO 3 lots of vitamins a day orally via a syringe and fortunately she takes them no problem. But my h/v always advised that, cruel as it sounds, it's best to put baby on their back so that the medicice literally just goes straight down the back of their throat. Not easy if your LO is pushing the syringe out I know...

im lucky Jack loves calpol. LOL!

maybe try letting him lick it of the spoon.

if he takes a dummy there are medicine dispesners where u fill this speical dummy with medicine then let them suck x

try putting it in a teat and just let him suck it all out hun

try laying him on his back n holding him down then just put the med in a bit at a time i no it sounds really bad but it works for me
sam as to av antibiotics every night

We would lie Caitlin down and use a syringe and insert a little at a time - yer some may come back out but not all x

what most people have said hun, put him on his back and put a little bit in a bit at a time straight at the back of his throat so he has to swallow.

Using the syringe just squirt about half a ml at a time....takes a while but they can't spit a tiny bit out:happydance:

Wait until he's a toddler. Gosh, my Amanda was a hard one. I used to put it in her bottle and she would know the difference. But, finally, when very hungry, she would drink it.

So, wondering since I've never done this when she was 3 months old if it would be ok to do with your LO if all else fails.

One more thing, here they have pain relief suppositories for babies. Do they have them there? They also worked a charm when I couldn't get pain relief medicine into Amanda.

If they dont like the taste most medicines can be put into a bottle with milk.

Jay seems to lap up / lick any medicines (calpol / gripe water) off the measuring spoon :D

xx

You can put it in a bottle teat and let him suck it out like he would a bottle. That works for Marlowe if she likes the taste of it.

We got a type of paracetomal that isn't as thick as Calpol, Kaya takes it much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confettiblue
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->