How to go about telling everyone they can't hold him?

mommyof3co

Mommy of 4 amazing boys!
Reaction score
My 3rd son, Hayden, has his 4th birthday party this weekend. We are having a lot of people out to a local park to celebrate. Quite a few haven't even met Preston yet, I know everyone is going to want him passed around but I just can't let that happen. 1. they can't wash hands 2. he gets overstimulated very easily 3. all the kids just started back to school I really don't want to risk him getting sick by letting 20-30+ people pass him around. So best thing is to not allow anyone to hold him instead of picking and choosing and hurting people's feelings, instead I'll just hurt everyone's haha.

No really though, how do you handle situations like these? I planned to just let everyone know when they get there (though I've already told a few friends about it), I'll wear him in his carrier but bring his stroller too so I can put him down after everyone knows to let him be, plus he has a stop sign saying not to touch him on the stroller.

Just be up front. Tell them he was a preemie and is more susceptible to germs/colds, etc. and that you don't want anyone else holding him. And smile and enjoy the party.

Anyone with children should understand.

Id just say the hospital said your ot allowed to let anyone unfamiliar handle him x

^ wss, blame the hospital or health visitor/doctor :haha:

I used to use phrases like "we've been advised" Or "because she was premature". That way I felt less like an over protective mum. But be upfront. I'm not sure I would warn people on the way in, but I would simply state my case if anyone asks to hold him.

Ive found with Amelia not many people actually ask to hold her. They wait for me to offer or say things to her like oh youd like a cuddle with blah blah blah wouldnt you. Which I ignore untill they ask directly hahahaha!

Apa one crazy bint who came and took her off me when we were having a family meal out. MIL vaugley knew her husband as shes a hairdresser and cuts his hair but shed/wed never seen this woman before ever and as I was bouncing Amelia in the air she caught her and I was so startled I let go. Caused a major scene over that one, crazy bint!

Leave him in the carrier, it will also put people off wanting to touch him incase they get your boobs instead.

I do plan to leave him in the carrier unless he gets irritated or my hips start hurting which I'm sure they will (I have REALLY bad hips)

I just posted this on the FB invite (which is just family and close friends)

"Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow, Hayden is so excited!!!!

I've already told most people but just a reminder....

I hate to be "mean" but we won't be allowing anyone to hold Mr. Preston tomorrow at the party, can't pass him around to everyone and chance him getting sick since no one can wash hands and he also gets over stimulated very easily. We still need to be really careful with him as he's still healing and we are coming into the time of year where it seems like everyone is getting sick left and right which is part of the reason the party is at the park so everyone isn't in close contact in the house, we hope to keep him well all fall/winter so doing everything we can :) Hope everyone understands!! We still love you all :)

Again can't wait to see you all tomorrow!!!!"

Does that sound ok? My friends/family will for sure be grabbing for him and asking nonstop unless they are told. I did already tell a few close friends, my mom and my sister but for others I posted this and just a reminder for everyone else.

Sounds great :) we said something similar when we went to church for the first time with him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->