How to make bread sticks?

Scottish Sam

Mummy to Rebecca Rose
Reaction score
Rebecca loves breadsticks and I quite fancy making some cheesy ones for her but cant find any recipes!!

Does anyone know of any?

These cheese twists are similar to cheese straws, obviously you can omit the cayenne for babies and small children.

Ingredients:
•1 cup sifted flour
•1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•dash ground cayenne pepper
•2 tablespoons butter or margarine
•1/2 cup coarsley grated sharp Cheddar cheese
•1/3 cup cold water
Preparation:
Sift flour, salt, baking powder, and cayenne pepper into a medium mixing bowl. Cut in butter or margarine and cheese with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle cold water over mixture; mix lightly with a fork until mixture holds together and leaves side of bowl. Roll out to a rectangle about 12x10 inches on a lightly floured board. Divide in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into strips 1/2-inch wide. Lift strips carefully and twist gently. Place twists 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Carefully transfer cheese twists to wire racks to cool.

I've not made breadsticks before to be honest just these cheese straws and twists.

The other way I've made these before was with a pack of ready rolled puff pastry, lay it out on a worksurface, wash with egg wash and sprinkle with parmesan (or whatever cheese you want) and cut into very thin strips and bake in the oven on a high heat for about 8-10mins

Brilliant, thank you!

Do you think it would be ok if she had ready to roll pastry? not sure about the salt content

I found this, you could change out their topping for cheese if you wanted

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...s/almost-famous-breadsticks-recipe/index.html

I found this, you could change out their topping for cheese if you wanted

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...s/almost-famous-breadsticks-recipe/index.html

ooo they look so yummy! good thread, def gonna make some for maddi xx

Brilliant, thank you!

Do you think it would be ok if she had ready to roll pastry? not sure about the salt content

To be honest all breadsticks are gonna have salt in them and there's salt in cheese too. You have to weigh it up....she won't be eating a substantial amount anyway will she? Only a couple of sticks. I'm quite strict about not having added salt in their diets etc but I let mine have these:blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->