How to stop formula top-ups & supplements and EBF?

ClairAye

Mum to one of each!
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

My daughter is 8 weeks old and has had some formula from birth, some top ups and some supplemented feeds (I have a toddler and I'm moving house so it's been really hetic!) My supply has taken a hit since about 6 weeks PP because of it and I have some Fenugreek coming in the post. I really want to EBF, I've been having porridge with flaxseed in the morning to try help with my supply, also pumping after feeds or when she has a bottle if I can (again really busy right now).

Anything else I can do? Thanks :flower:

Nurse, nurse, nurse. Breastfeed as often as you can. Definitely pump everytime she has a bottle and any other time you can manage. You've got to stimulate your breasts to send the message to your body to make more milk...I've never tried fenugreek pills, but those should help. I do drink a tea with fenugreek in it from time to time and it really helped when i returned to work and had trouble pumping enough.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Relax and give it some time. Lots of water, rest, a healthy diet and plenty of nursing/pumping.

We were admitted to hospital with insufficient weight gain at 3 weeks. We were using formula top ups for 3 weeks. I used Fenugreek & Blessed Thistle. And pumped after every feed. My lactation consultant said I should try to drop 2 bottles every 48 hours but this didn't work for me. In the end I tried the same strategy that I used to quit smoking, I just tried to delayed giving the first bottle until eventually it was only the final evening feed and then not at all. It wasn't easy. It was a big struggle but I was determined to get back to 100% breastmilk.

More recently I've been trying to up my supply to build a freezer stash and I have been power pumping at night. This has seemed to work for me. I do 10 mins each side then rest for 10 mins / repeat.

I hope this helps! Good luck. X

Once my did had started to gain weight at about two months she sort of self weaned off the formula top ups. I was pumping after most feeds plus giving her the top ups. It just got too much for me. First I stopped night pumpings which I hated doing. I got covered in milk but it only took two night for body to adjust. Then I just reduced the amount of formula offered after feeds so 3oz-2oz-1oz then none. Like I said though my lo didn't really want top ups after a while and would either throw up everything or just refuse bottle. It felt like forever at the time but once I trusted my body was making enough milk it was a huge relief. Good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->