How to teach them to use a spoon?

littletobyj

Reaction score
My LO outright refuses to be spoon fed so we have done BLW however she is now starting to eat some of our table foods. How do you get them to get the hang of spoons? Literally let them get all messed up and wait for them to catch on, if I intervene with her food she does throw a strop! No chance of me guiding the spoon in!

My 10 month old will only be spoonfed occasionally but started reaching for the spoon so I've been loading it, laying it on the highchair tray and letting her pick it up and put it in her mouth. She's remarkably good for a 10 month old! Make sure the spoon isn't too long otherwise she'll miss her mouth and pick a 'sticky' food like porridge or mash potato that will stick to the spoon a bit to start with. Be prepared for some mess but i haven't had to mop the ceiling yet!

Just give it to her and let her figure it out. We never spoonfed, but sometime around 9 months, I started giving my daughter a spoon with her yogurt. I would often spoonload it for her (you could try that if she'll let you, if not just give her the spoon). She'll probably bang it around, toss it on the floor, ignore it, etc. for awhile, but eventually she'll get the idea. I'd say within a couple months, she was feeding herself competently with a spoon on her own. Now she uses a spoon and a fork for all her meals.

I just load the spoon up and give it to him, he's 7 months and picked it up pretty well straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->