How to wean toddler?

babytots

Reaction score
my 19 month old is still breastfeeding during the day he constantly fidgets and I end up being pinched or bitten and I find as each day passes breastfeeding isn't enjoyable for me anymore. He is so active that he wants to be playing but at the same time nurse and obviously he can't do both. I've tried wearing necklaces for him to play with but that doesn't really work.

At bedtime he will not settle without being nursed first and usually he wakes in the middle of the night or at the crack of dawn for a feed.

I would like to get him down to just the one feed first thing in the morning and one at night before bed. But how? He will drink cows milk in a bottle/beaker but if he's tired and crabby and knows I'm there he will say no and come to me saying ma ma (his way of letting me know he wants feeding).

Any tips gratefully received x

I have the same problem. The only thing i can suggest is to try to put him down before he gets tired and distract as much as possible throughout the day. easier said than done i know!

I just came on here to ask the exact same thing for my 17 month dd. No advice though sorry but hopefully someone will have some tips. My dd is also fed to sleep and wakes 6-7 times a night to comfort feed

Hi ladies,
My ray of sunshine is 29months and the only way I got him to stop feeding during the night was when he woke I'd offer him a beaker of water. Few nights of this and he stopped waking at nighg! I'm down to a feed first thing in the morning, nap at lunchtime he feeds to fall asleep and then at bedtime. I've had rare occasions where hd has skipped the morning one coz I'm busy with the other 3. He's my 4th and last and the longest feeder of my others was my daughter and she stopped herself at 21months. Try the night time solution as not getting woken is fabulous! ! During thd day now I don't offer and don't outright refuse I do my best to distract and that seems to have worked too. Hope you all get down to the number of feeds you're happy with. I never expected to still be bf now he's not in a rush to stop but also not as reliant anymore so guess that's good!

flosie, I feel your pain!!!! Although a bit disconcerted you still have that problem :| (and conveying all the hugs!)

Honeybear1976, what did your ds do when you offered the beaker of water? And at what age did you do it? I'm thinking about doing it but am so scared that:
- if I don't BF her back down, she'll get even worse (at least now she goes straight back to sleep...)
- The difference between BF and a beaker of water is going to result in - well, vast and epic unending screaming.

Would LOVE your thoughts!

flosie, I feel your pain!!!! Although a bit disconcerted you still have that problem :| (and conveying all the hugs!)

Honeybear1976, what did your ds do when you offered the beaker of water? And at what age did you do it? I'm thinking about doing it but am so scared that:
- if I don't BF her back down, she'll get even worse (at least now she goes straight back to sleep...)
- The difference between BF and a beaker of water is going to result in - well, vast and epic unending screaming.

Those are my exact worries!

I've had Daddy doing bed times and she goes to sleep within 10 minutes for him whereas i was battling for up to 2 hours. Unfortunately he can't do nights as he works 7.30am till 6pm most days so i feel it would be unfair to ask him. Are you able to do something similar?

Those are my exact worries!

I've had Daddy doing bed times and she goes to sleep within 10 minutes for him whereas i was battling for up to 2 hours. Unfortunately he can't do nights as he works 7.30am till 6pm most days so i feel it would be unfair to ask him. Are you able to do something similar?

We split bedtimes when he is home - it's not so much the bedtime that's the issue as the waking up all night :\

I have yet to wean my 21 month old, but he can now fall asleep with a bottle of cow's milk with a little chocolate syrup :winkwink:

I started him during the day before he gets cranky for a nap.. when I know he's just starting to get tired.. bottle and then booby.. it took a few weeks, and now he'd much rather have a bottle, especially in the middle of the night.

He still has booby for nap and bed time if I don't have a bottle for him, which I don't mind once in awhile.. but it has definitely helped calm down all the frustration.

ALSO - he wakes up VERY often in the middle of the night now, 2-3x on average.. breastfed babies have faster metabolisms, so there's no doubt in my mind that they are likely GENUINELY hungry in the middle of the night.

I have yet to wean my 21 month old, but he can now fall asleep with a bottle of cow's milk with a little chocolate syrup :winkwink:

I started him during the day before he gets cranky for a nap.. when I know he's just starting to get tired.. bottle and then booby.. it took a few weeks, and now he'd much rather have a bottle, especially in the middle of the night.

He still has booby for nap and bed time if I don't have a bottle for him, which I don't mind once in awhile.. but it has definitely helped calm down all the frustration.

ALSO - he wakes up VERY often in the middle of the night now, 2-3x on average.. breastfed babies have faster metabolisms, so there's no doubt in my mind that they are likely GENUINELY hungry in the middle of the night.

I dont think Isaac is hungry. He eats at least 3 meals (sometimes has extra portions at nursery) 4 snacks and often picks at my meals too. He has a bf first thing and one before bed plus cows wilk 2-3 times a day. He has started waking every two hours the last few nights and I dont know why. I usually cave and let him in my bed around half 4 /5 as im too exhausted to keep getting up.
I really dont understand what is going on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->