How was going from 1 to 2 kids?

campn

Reaction score
So this is for moms who have two kids obviously. How was the adjustment!? My DS will be 4 by the time the baby is here and goes to preschool a few hours a day and potty trained so not really a toddler anymore, but still, I'm pretty terrified. He's all boy and super active and I've no idea how I'll be able to sit down and nurse a baby a billion time day and still keep up with him.

How was your adjustment going from just 1 to 2!? Any tips or words of wisdom?

I'll be stalking this thread for answers as well...I'm curious!

Pretty awesome really! There was definitely an adjustment period but I think that had more to do with having a newborn all over again. I remember wondering how I would cope with two when one seemed like so much work but you do adjust and before long it's hard to remember what life was like before two.

I suggest getting some fun activities and the odd toy for your four year old to play with once the baby has arrived. Also, get him to help you in any way you can, it will make him feel important when a fair bit of attention is being bestowed on your baby. You will do great!

Stalking! My son will be 4 & 10 months when baby is born and will have started school so I will have the hours during the day with the baby. But still I sometimes struggle with him just now he's just a constant bundle of energy! So I'll be stalking for tips.

To be honest, its easy, the shock of having your first is nothing like having a second, its far more enjoyable as you are not as frightened.... honestly each one gets easier xxx

There is 22 months between my girls, it was ok, hard at times but once things settle down its just life. I would say it's no where near as hard as having your first as u know what to expect!

there was only 14 months between my first two sons, and honestly the first 6 months was so hard. it was the hardest thing in the world honestly.

Keep them coming ladies. Love to hear everyone's experience.

It's true, this time we've experience on our side right!? I had no idea what I was doing when my son was a newborn but this time I've some confidence.

I'm scared that history could repeat itself again as I had the worst breastfeeding experience with him, so just hoping for a miracle this time!

It was great! Way better than 0-1. My son was almost 2 when his sister arrived.

My daughter and this baby will seem like a massive gap compared to last time and I think it will be even easier. My son wasn't even really talking when Sophie was born. He possibly has autism do he hasn't been the easier boy to parent but even then things have been great.

I found it easier second time round. There are two years between my two boys & I found the first 3-6 months are the hardest. My oldest wasn't talking too well at the time so we had some communication barriers there. Alfie, my oldest wasn't in any form of nursery so I had him home full time & that was quite hard with a newborn. Everything really changed once Alister, my youngest started to sit up & take notice of Alfie & toys & interact more.

This time I'm going to have a 4 year age gap between the baby & Alister & then a 6 year age gap between the baby & my oldest. I was quite aprhensive at telling them both & while the youngest did not take it too well at first he has really come round to the idea & getting all his old things out for the new baby. The oldest has taken it really well & just seems to take it in his stride, but he's done it once before.

Easy...much better than going from no kids to one kid. You already know what you're doing the second time round.

It's true, this time we've experience on our side right!? I had no idea what I was doing when my son was a newborn but this time I've some confidence.

I'm scared that history could repeat itself again as I had the worst breastfeeding experience with him, so just hoping for a miracle this time!

I just want to add that I had a really, really rough go with breastfeeding my first. Only sheer stubbornness (and the price of formula!) kept me from quitting but it was a hard experience. Second baby couldn't have been easier. I had experience on my side and had it down pretty much right after he was born. You will be much more confidant this time and relaxed about things that previously may have been a struggle.

I just want to add that I had a really, really rough go with breastfeeding my first. Only sheer stubbornness (and the price of formula!) kept me from quitting but it was a hard experience. Second baby couldn't have been easier. I had experience on my side and had it down pretty much right after he was born. You will be much more confidant this time and relaxed about things that previously may have been a struggle.

I could have written that myself! I was dead set on breastfeeding and I wasn't going to give up, plus we really couldn't afford formula unless we chose to give up other things, but I really wanted to breastfeed and I'm glad it worked out in the end but the journey to get there was so hard I'm not sure I could do it again, especially while taking care of another kid.

You've given me hope!

I could have written that myself! I was dead set on breastfeeding and I wasn't going to give up, plus we really couldn't afford formula unless we chose to give up other things, but I really wanted to breastfeed and I'm glad it worked out in the end but the journey to get there was so hard I'm not sure I could do it again, especially while taking care of another kid.

You've given me hope!

I really hope this time is easier for you! Remember that you have lots of experience on your side and that alone will make it a different experience than last time. I often found things for ds1 to do while feeding baby (coloring, a new toy, a show on tv, etc.). The hardest part for me was nap time. I hated leaving my son downstairs to put my baby down for any length of time. That was tricky!

Stalking too. Not yet pregnant but would like to be soon and are hoping for 3.5-4 year gap! Nice to see its not as much of a shock to the system as 0-1 that was hell haha

I'm worried too, there'll be just shy of a five year age gap. I was sure DD would do wonderfully as she's so excited but my mum told me all these horror stories at this age gap, including one where a little girl tried smothering her baby brother with a pillow! (It was my mum's friend who had this issue) I'm just trying to think about my sister. She's 4 years older than me but when I was born she was really protective. Is it just a case of making sure your child is involved?

there was only 14 months between my first two sons, and honestly the first 6 months was so hard. it was the hardest thing in the world honestly.
I agree totally. 16 months between my 1st 2 and it was a year or hell. Great now they are 2 and 3 but so v hard. 1 is so easy. Having 1 is like having none having 2 is like running a zoo. So true !!

My first was just turning 19 months when my second arrived and it was so much easier than I imagined. I find having two toddlers horrific compared to a toddler and a newborn. :haha:

Huge respect to the ladies that had their second very close to their first. The first two years the thought of having a second never even occurred to me! :haha: you ladies are brave!

Huge respect to the ladies that had their second very close to their first. The first two years the thought of having a second never even occurred to me! :haha: you ladies are brave!

That's just like us...so much so, that it was never really a discussion until the last few months or so...and my daughter is 32 months on 20th June.
I personally would not want a close gap, but each family is different obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->