How worried should I be about fundal height??

Monix

Reaction score
Hi ladies, thanks for reading :) I'm worried about my fundal height and don't know if I should just relax or push for an earlier growth scan. I had a midwife appointment yesterday at exactly 36 weeks. Everything seemed fine except my fundal height was only 31cm, the same as it was at my 34 week appointment AND my 30 week appointment. It hasn't grown for 6 weeks!

My midwife said she wants to book a growth ultrasound to see what's going on, but it looks like I might have to wait until late next week. My fault - I have to travel 2.5 hours to the city so they try to set up all my appointments for the same day, but next week has a public holiday on Wednesday so they're talking about Thursday.

Is that too long to wait? I don't know if I can mentally wait that long. I know 2cm either way is normal but 5 cm seems like a big deal. I would never forgive myself for not being more pushy if something was wrong and I waited too long. But I also know that I may be a bit paranoid and over thinking everything. What would you do???

I personally would push for an earlier scan, but I tend to be a worrier. Still, if it's something that's bothering you, I think you should try to get answers asap.

If baby keeps scooting lower, than can have an effect. My midwife was concerned and sent me in for a growth scan, and her estimates ended up being way off.

Thank you both for the replies :) Hopefully it's just something like that! It would just be nice to know. The ultrasound clinic is booked until the 16th :(

Personally I wld push fr earlier scan. Your bump hasn't grown fr 6 weeks. There is something going on. Baby might be restricted and deprived of nutrients it needs to be healthy. IUGR can have devastating outcomes. Only ultrasound can clear that up. I wld go asap, even if that means going 2 times down there in one week. I'm a worrier too. Take care!

I would push for an earlier scan!! Its not worth risking it , especially if baby isn't getting the nutrients it needs. The midwives sound incompetent.

I would push for an ultrasound too. Im 5 weeks behind on fundal height and after an emergency ultrasound the next day it was found my baby does have iugr and is way behind on growth. Im now being closely monitored.

In your case i would push for an earlier scan, but usually fundal height really doesnt mean alot. I get different measurements everytime someone else measures me, yesterday i was measured as 29, then later on that day 27, then 28. But definately in your case push for an earlier scan x

Thanks for the replies, I felt the same and started calling around and managed to get an ultrasound booked at a different hospital for this Monday! I'm feeling much better about it :) thanks again! And good luck to you Keza!

Thanks for the replies, I felt the same and started calling around and managed to get an ultrasound booked at a different hospital for this Monday! I'm feeling much better about it :) thanks again! And good luck to you Keza!

Great! Let us know how it goes! I hope all is well and baby is growing even though yr belly isn't. X

Just wanted to update, I went for the ultrasound & a midwife appointment yesterday. My belly is now 6 weeks behind but baby is normal size maybe even on the big side!!! They estimated 7lb 3oz already!! So I'm happy he's ok but super confused about where he's hiding :)

Just wanted to update, I went for the ultrasound & a midwife appointment yesterday. My belly is now 6 weeks behind but baby is normal size maybe even on the big side!!! They estimated 7lb 3oz already!! So I'm happy he's ok but super confused about where he's hiding :)

I'm so glad!! This also makes me feel a bit better I have to have a growth scan this week coz I'm now measuring behind. Fingers crossed it's the same out look for us

Hey, I'm really glad the scan was good :). My fundal height with DD1 was 4 weeks behind by the time I delivered, she was 8lbs so a very normal weight :). DD2 was a few weeks behind by FH and by bump shrunk, I was pretty concerned (especially as I was a whale with the other 2 in comparison) but then by bump started to catch up and although I didn't get as big as I had with my other 2 she was a normal weight and actually bigger than DD1 (8lbs 9). Some babies are good at hiding I think!

Almost exactly how it went for me! I did a growth scan in week 37 and turns out the "small baby" that was causing so much worry was more accurately estimated at 7.2lbs. Belly measured small because he was scooted down so low.

Of course, now I'm almost 41 weeks and freaking out about how huge he could potentially be. Hahaha.

But I am so glad that it ended up being nothing for you to worry about! Now you can relax. :D

I'm so glad!! This also makes me feel a bit better I have to have a growth scan this week coz I'm now measuring behind. Fingers crossed it's the same out look for us

Fingers crossed for you!!

Fingers crossed for you!!

Thank Hun, it was fine baby weighs 5lb 7oz at 34weeks. So a good weight. Stupid midwife!

And if anyone is reading this concerned about big babies. With my daughter I always measured spot on with fh and she was 6 lb 14.

Glad growth scan was okay. My fundal height actually got 3cm smaller at about 36 weeks with my first. My MW said it was because she had been high up then she engaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->