How would you pronounce Eily?

I'm on my own here in that I would have guessed 'Ail - ee ' lol. I agree though that people will just reproduce whatever you say and pronounce it how your daughter pronounces it!

I know someone called Kyra which to me looks like 'kye- ra' but her name is pronounced 'kee-ra' - to me it just doesn't fit at all when I see it written down!

Boo44 I think a lot of irish names beginning EIL are pronounced as Ail... that's why DH and I were thinking there are 3 potential ways to say it.

I've written to the author, through her publisher. Fingers crossed they will forward the email to her!!! That way I will find out exactly how Eily O'Driscoll pronounced her name in this book!:haha:

I've never seen it or heard of it but if I had to read it out I would have said Eye-Lee (I'm in Australia)

ee-lie was how I initially read it. Living in NI I'd guess at Ail-lee?

Sal91 i live in Northern Ireland too and anyone I know says ee-lee too

My cousins wife is called Eily! Its pronounced Eye-lee by her. I've never thought about how it looks like it should be pronounced when written down, but I don't think the way you plan on pronouncing it seems odd or anything, I might guess it was pronounced like that if I wasn't used to it the way I know it. and like you say lots of names have different pronunciations :)

Eleanor ace. You're the first person I've been in contact with who knows an Eily. It's not that common at all!

Thanks so much for all the opinions it's a big help to us!

Beautiful name! I would pronounce it Eye-lee :). I am also American in case that makes a difference.

lol tbh I'm English and haven't lived here very long so not great at Irish pronounciations. It's a beautiful name whichever way you pronounce it :)

Eleanor ace. You're the first person I've been in contact with who knows an Eily. It's not that common at all!

I've just looked up the books (wasn't familiar with them) and I see that one of the siblings is named Peggy; my cousins wife's sister is called Peggy (nn, her actual name is Margaret), I wonder if their parents named them after the characters in the book?! I'm going to Facebook her and ask!

I've just looked up the books (wasn't familiar with them) and I see that one of the siblings is named Peggy; my cousins wife's sister is called Peggy (nn, her actual name is Margaret), I wonder if their parents named them after the characters in the book?! I'm going to Facebook her and ask!

The first book was written in 1991... not sure how old your cousins wife is? But such a coincidence

Oh I didn't spot that! She's 32 or 33 and her sister is older so just a funny coincidence! How random though!

I'd pronounce it Eye-lee as I always thought it was short for Eileen (eye-leen). I'm in Northern Ireland

That said pronunciation does vary across the country. My wee boy is Oisin. We say awe-sheen but you get oh-sheen and ush-een too. I think that's more an accent thing as 'ulster' Irish sounds different from 'dublin' irish

Totally agree lovecakes! I know 2 Oisins and they're pronounced so differently!!! One is ooh-sheen and other awww-sheen

I really hope the author replies to me because I'm
Adamant to pronounce it how she intended it

I'd pronounce it E LEE like Healey without the H x

Eleanor!!! I never even thought ti look up you tube... thank you so much for this!!!

The narrator says Ee lee.but I think Marita says Eye lee. The narrator has a northern accent so I think that's why I have always associated it with E lee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->