How Would YOU Reform the Education System?

I personally think state schools are severely underfunded, I think that we should have a system where parent's pay directly towards the school's up-keeping, I don't mean to the extent of private schools but enough that classroom sizes and facilities are at a good standard. I know some might not agree with that but I think it's that or the government increases the spending on schools which would be the same thing.

I personally think state schools are severely underfunded, I think that we should have a system where parent's pay directly towards the school's up-keeping, I don't mean to the extent of private schools but enough that classroom sizes and facilities are at a good standard. I know some might not agree with that but I think it's that or the government increases the spending on schools which would be the same thing.

but then all the familys on benefits would get away without paying and itd be up to the taxpayers to fund it...

but then all the familys on benefits would get away without paying and itd be up to the taxpayers to fund it...

Perhaps but surely those unable to pay shouldn't have to? is this not the same as prescriptions, dental, vouchers towards optician fees etc? The percent of people on benefits is much lower than it's portrayed in the media, the number of people able to pay would vastly outnumber those unable to and I think that's a good thing, education I think should be universal and society should be doing it's part because clearly it isn't working in the current system when you look at the gap.

I don't think its how much money they have but how they are spending the money. They spend a bit more per child than they do here but here they don't waste so much money on technology so they can afford to have smaller class sizes etc. I think people have to really think whats more important - that every kid gets an ipod in class or whatever, or they have better teachers and smaller classes and more special needs help etc.

That wouldnt be fair on the people who have to pay though!! Why should one family pay and bot the other!!

it depends on what your definition of fair is though as some would say children should have the same level of education regardless of their economic background, we always throw this idea of sense of entitlement around and it seems to only apply to those in a disadvantaged background, when surely it's the other way around, people feel they are entitled to something that others should be denied of because they can't afford it, I think there is something inherently wrong with the belief that some deserve things more than others, I would have hoped we lived in a society where we tried to look after everyone.

Im just saying like everything else it would be up to the taxpayers to fund your idea. why should people who choose not to work and then moan they have got no money get everything given to them!! If i wanted pay for education my children would go to private school

it depends on what your definition of fair is though as some would say children should have the same level of education regardless of their economic background, we always throw this idea of sense of entitlement around and it seems to only apply to those in a disadvantaged background, when surely it's the other way around, people feel they are entitled to something that others should be denied of because they can't afford it, I think there is something inherently wrong with the belief that some deserve things more than others, I would have hoped we lived in a society where we tried to look after everyone.

How the hell do you think the tax payer can afford it? We get now benefits, other than child benefit, but I have quite a few friends who are topped up with tax credits which makes them much better off than is a month!

I think it's inherently wrong that people can live life without any sense of responsibility, want another kid? Tax payer will pay. Whereas if I wanted more I couldn't afford it! We struggle right now, hubby has lost £5000 in four years because of company tax cuts, inflation as increased dramatically and we had three kids!

Perhaps the answer it to get a lesser paying job so we can be classed as disadvantaged and yet have more money in our pockets and less to pay.

I do think everyone should have excellent education, regardless of their background, but if we keep expecting the taxpayer to pay for everything then the tax payer will be no more.

Im just saying like everything else it would be up to the taxpayers to fund your idea. why should people who choose not to work and then moan they have got no money get everything given to them!! If i wanted pay for education my children would go to private school

But equally, why should children suffer for the faults of their parents? For families trapped in poverty (and for most it isn't as simple as choosing not to work), education is one of the only chances to break the cycle.

Professor Heckman, Nobel prize winner, has shown from a purely economic viewpoint, investing in early education gives up to double the return that governments get from investing money in stocks and shares.

How the hell do you think the tax payer can afford it? We get now benefits, other than child benefit, but I have quite a few friends who are topped up with tax credits which makes them much better off than is a month!

I think it's inherently wrong that people can live life without any sense of responsibility, want another kid? Tax payer will pay. Whereas if I wanted more I couldn't afford it! We struggle right now, hubby has lost £5000 in four years because of company tax cuts, inflation as increased dramatically and we had three kids!

Perhaps the answer it to get a lesser paying job so we can be classed as disadvantaged and yet have more money in our pockets and less to pay.

I do think everyone should have excellent education, regardless of their background, but if we keep expecting the taxpayer to pay for everything then the tax payer will be no more.

well said :-D xxx

Are you saying that the schools that are currently struggling are doing so because of poor people having children because I'm not sure where that comment came from, education is a public service and as such the public should take more responsibility as a whole, it is after all the "tax payers" who use state schools just as much as a minority that rely on benefits, schools and early years need more funding, funding which has to come from somewhere and I'm sure a lot of parent's would rather directly pay into schools, your personal circumstances don't come into this, you being worse or better off than your neighbor/friend doesn't change the facts, a child's access to education shouldn't be affected by others moral standings or personal opinions. as freckleonear explained, education especially in the early years is the cornerstone to development and success in the future for kids, I'm sure lot's of those people you are so happy to point the finger at would not be needing benefits now had somebody invested in their future.

No that is not what I am saying, in simple terms I am saying, you can't take out of an empty pot.

The cant keep expecting the tax payer to pay for everything. At some point, it will break. Have you considered the debt of the country?

I am sharing my circumstances because I am one of these people you expet to pay for this, and I can't and I am pointing out that those disadvantaged people you are referring to are sometimes in a better position.

Plus am am annoyed at your accusations that I am "pointing the finger" I am sharing my circumstances and I didn't at any point say any negative about any anyone.

I am equally sure a lot of people wouldn't rather pay into schools, those who can afford to send their children to private school or grammar schools.

Money alone will not change the situation in many schools. Yes, we are struggling badly. Probably a lot more than people are aware. However, parental support and encouragement adds so much value and is often lacking. This situation seems to be worsening too. People often grouch about schools not communicating but the partnership people want requires effort on both sides.

There would still be the issue of poor spending choices, though as someone who works in a secondary school in a very deprived area, I promise it's not a case of all children having an iPad! I'll be honest, I'd be a bit pissed off if - after paying my whopping chunk of tax that is supposed to cover education amongst other things - I was told I'd have to essentially pay for my child's education in a state school.

Honestly, my perspective is that teacher training colleges need to be rigorous in the quality of teacher they are churning out. This would make a significant difference.

Meta analysis suggests that class sizes have to be 15 children or less to have any impact on improving progress and attainment in relation to if the child was in a larger class, so with that in mind, schools would be having to employ roughly double the amount of teachers they currently have, which will never be financially viable.

Improving the quality of teachers would definitely help things. Teachers should have a masters degree at least.

Hmm not sure about that, as I don't think it's a subject knowledge issue in most cases of poor teachers that I know of. It's more that teachers are getting passed from ITT colleges because the universities want to keep their results looking good, when some of them shouldn't be. This is one of the main issues, in my humble opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->