HSG

bek74

Mum of 5
Reaction score
My period is due either Wednesday or Thursday and I feel as though it will come ( holding onto slim hope).
Well I have made an appointment to go and see my GP on Friday about getting a referral to see a radiologist to have a HSG (hysterosalipingogram / dye into tubes test). I was wondering if anyone has had this test done and what was it like?, was it painful?( hear you get cramps, but how intense). Any info anyone has on this test would be great.

Thankyou.

I have had this done. So you will go into the x-ray and strip down and put on one of those lovely little gowns. Then you will lay on the x-ray table and the radiologist will come in. He/she will then insert the cathader into your uterus. This hurt just a bit, like a pap smear. Then the little balloon will be inflated in the cervex. This hurt, not only it is painful, it just felt like such a violation, I just felt really exposed. Anyway, once the balloon is big enough the radiologist will insert the dye. My guy has a screen hooked up and turned where I could see it as well, and I watched as the dye filled my uterus, my fallopian tubes and then to the ovaries which I thought was kinda cool. He came back, deflated the ballon and left. Its a bit messy down there after wards, so take a pad with you. I took some pain releif when I left, and don't remember hurting much the rest of the day.

Thanks mate. i didn't know about a balloon thingy, yukky.

Thanks for the honesty, if it is going to hurt I want to know about so i can prepare myself, and I will also pack a pad.

Again thankyou

Did you have the HSG test done? where in Brisbane did you have it and how was it? I am going to see a FS and assume he will send me for one too - lost my other tube to an ectopic and have been TTC for 15 months!!

I disagree that it feels like a pap smear. It felt like labour pains to me, and I fainted three times afterwards. Take advil and tylenol, and whatever else you can get your hands on...vodka maybe! Not to scare you, but it is good to be well informed. I have heard some women feel nothing, and other's are like me. Good luck

hey chick, take painkillers before you go i also found it very painful. and also got the lightheadedness afterwards. however was not sore rest of day xxxx hope it goes ok xxxx

Had this done a couple months ago. I didn't feel much pain. A little crampy like light PMS pains.

I go to have my HSG done on the 29th. I really hope it is not to painful!!!!

I had a HSG done in January and to say I was dreading it was an understatement - I didn't even have my shoes off before I broke down in tears. I was led to believe it was excruciating but period pains is a great way of describing it.

It does feel like a bit of a violation when you're lying there legs spread wide to the world, and you've got a balloon holding you open and a torch shining at your bits ... but watching the screen is rather cool.

I didn't take pain killers before I went, as I was instructed not to. The hospital gave me a painkiller and a muscle relaxant an hour before the procedure and if i'd taken any myself then I wouldn't have got any more. Check with the hospital before you go.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's not very nice.

Hope that helps.

:hug:

After you get the HSG test done if everything is okay can you start TTC right away?

After you get the HSG test done if everything is okay can you start TTC right away?

We strated like 2 days later, since I hadn't ovulated yet. Even tho my bits were tender:blush:

maybe tmi, lol but we done it that night, and despite it being painful getting hsg, i was not in any pain, so go for it chick :hugs:

LOL. WWWWWWWWHHHHHOOOOO!!!!! Thats what I wanted to hear!! Thanks!!

I had this done a few weeks ago, i wasnt prepared at all, wasnt told to not have bd before either as the xtray could damage the egg. they say DISCOMFORT so i took some painkiller before going in, there was a sharp twinge as they inserted the tube but i didnt know anything about a balloon they explained the procedure to me and didnt mention it. she then pushed the dye in which was like a deep achy cramp, it hurt but it was bareable. unfortunate for me my tilted cervix kept popping the tube out so she had to push it in further which was excrutiating. i swore out very loud. thought she had stabbd me!
i saw the ink go in on the screen which was good and she also showed me afterwards where all the ink had passed through the tubes etc ok and had gone ito the rest of the amdomen.
i felt ok afterwards no pain UNTILL about 2 hours later i creased up and was in so much pain i had to take 3 days off work. i then came up in hives so went to my GP who saud i may have had a reaction to the iodine used or mefanamic acid that i was taking for the pain. who knows.
people react differently.
good luck and hope all is ok
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back