Hubby is REALLY against a Home Birth :(

Dosey

Reaction score
I have been thinking about a Home Birth for a while now but hubby is so against it.

Naturally, he is concerned that something might go very wrong and that having to be transported to hospital is wasting precious time.

He keeps coming up with scenarios such as "What happens if the ambulance breaks down, if there is loads of traffic" etc etc.

I can completely understand his concerns and I really do respect them but I feel like I am getting no choice in the matter now :nope: The thought of birthing in hospital makes me anxious. We are a 10 minute drive from the hospital (by car) so, in my eyes, we aren't that far away.

I am very torn as I would never ever want to go against his wishes, especially when he feels that birthing at home is putting me and baby in unnecessary risk - a risk that he feels can be completely avoided if we were to be in hospital but my personal preference is for me to be at home.

This is our first by the way.

I agree, I do think it's important that he's on board and supportive of your choice, as you'll need and want his support during your birth. Would it be possible to help him be more supportive of the idea? Does he know much about home birth? You might try by just exposing him more to the idea and he might get more comfortable with it. I think everyone's first reaction (because it doesn't happen all that often so most people don't have much experience with it) is 'oh god, what if something went wrong?'. The reality is that the same midwives who will care for you in hospital will care for you at home and there are very few complications that can occur that a skilled midwife couldn't handle. In the rare scenario, where you did need a higher level of care, like you said, you're only 10 minutes from the hospital. The ambulance would likely be there, pick you up, and get you to the hospital before they'd even have a chance to prepare the theatre for an emergency c-section (for example). If you were in hospital, you'd still probably be sitting around waiting on them. But I think most people just don't know this and just assume there are so many things that could go wrong, that somehow it would be easier and quicker to deal with those things in a hospital (it isn't necessarily), and that there aren't so many benefits to a home birth compared to a hospital birth (like more success in breastfeeding, lower rates of induction or emergency c-section, etc.).

I grew up always knowing I'd want a home birth, so I pretty much started preparing my husband for this as soon as we got to the point in our relationship where we knew it was serious, before we were married or even engaged. I sat him down and made him watch the Business of Being Born. I have some small critiques of that film in general, but overall, I really do think it's an excellent way to start introducing someone to the idea that birthing at home is a normal, natural, safe thing. You might also think about seeing if you have a home birth group in your area. Being in Surrey, I imagine there must be one somewhere nearby, even if you have to drive a little bit. My husband and I have been to our local group meeting a few times and he's gotten to meet and talk to lots of other couples who had home births. He found it really empowering. Even though he's had enough years to get used to the idea of home birth in the abstract, he'd never met anyone who had one (lots of my friends have birthed at home, but they live far away and he's never really talked with them about it). Once he actually talked to people who'd done it, and compared there experiences to those of friends of his who had hospital births, he felt so much more comfortable. This is our first, so we obviously haven't done it yet, but he's read lots of books and birth stories and things, and is now such an advocate for home birth. I've even caught him telling his friends all about it on nights out!

Also, lastly, if you do decide you want to go for a home birth (or even if you don't, really), because your husband seems a bit uncertain still, you might think about hiring a doula. I think getting to know our doula has also really helped my husband feel confident that we know what we're doing and are making the best decision for us. She's had a hospital birth (very high intervention, kinda traumatic, with her first) and also a home birth (which was really empowering, pretty easy and chill, even with a nearly 11 lb baby!). She's been so helpful and positive and I think knowing he'll have someone there he trusts who's done this herself has made him feel a lot more comfortable. Doulas don't have to be expensive either. Our's is relatively new so she's only £200 for antenatal, birth and postnatal care. And if you hire one who is still training they are usually free.

My DH was really worried when I told him, but then after my midwife consultation she answered every single one of his questions and he isn't worried at all.

He is now asking me "Why, after all this research on natural birth and how inductions and unnecessary c-sections are not good, do doctors keep doing them?" I love him...:)

Not quite the same but my hubby didn't like the idea of us giving birth in a midwife led unit so we are booked into a hospital. We went to our 1st nct course last week and we learnt how important it is for mum to be comfortable and how it's usually as fast to be transferred to hospital if you need to as it would be getting to surgery or seeing a doc if you were at the hospital. We are now going to view the midwife unit and if we like it we are going to hopefully give birth there :). You should try get your hubby to have a chat to a midwife about it and see if it might help his fears.

Thank you so much ladies :hugs:

We start our NCT antenatal classes on 15th of this month so I am hoping he will find them informative and reassuring. I have managed to get him to the stage where he has said he will speak to our Midwife so we will see.

I know he is only feeling this way for all the right reasons (as he would worry about me and baby) but he is a stubborn man so I know it's not going to be easy.

My hubby was worried about hb but he understood my fear of hospitals and knew that if i was happy and relaxed then labour and delivery would be better, it was.

If you think you can get him to watch it, I HIGHLY recommend that you get him to watch "The Business of Being Born" -- it covers the various historical "mishaps" of the hospital, over the last 100 years and up to and including just a decade ago.

Its a great movie I find to use as an "eye opener" for people who are otherwise caught up and focused on all the possible "negatives" ...because it is so midwife-oriented of a film, it does an excellent job of portraying "the other side" of the argument in a way that at least can get most people "thinking" and open to conversation.

Best of luck!

If you have Netflix you can watch The Business of Being Born and Pregnant in America, both excellent documentaries. They are available for streaming.

Talk to the MW with your DH. Men are generally worried, but you also need to birth where you feel most comfortable. Also look up the blog Bring Birth Home. There are a few stories on there of dads and homebirth, it may be good for him to see how other men feel about it after they've gone through it with their wives.

My dh felt the same at first, but now after my home birth he was telling everyone how amazing it was and would recommend it to everyone too! I agree with the above posters with trying to get him to see the other side and all the benefits of home births. Good luck!! Hope you get your home birth!!

He's not the one birthing. It's your body and your choice. His role isn't to choose how or where you birth but to support you in whatever choices you make. It's normal for him to have fears but it's reasonable for you to expect him to address those fears. Coming up with unlikely scenarios like ambulances breaking down aren't a good basis for making birth choices. It's also not great that he is putting his fears onto you rather than addressing them.

He could address that specific fear by having back up transfer plans - e.g. have his own car and the fastest route plotted, have a friend/neighbour who has a car available to drive you there if need be - that way if the unlikely happens and you need to transfer and the even more unlikely happens and the ambulance sent to fetch you breaks down he has a plan B.

You are very close to the hospital. In the even of a medical emergency you will phone ahead and even in the worst case scenario that you need a surgical birth it takes longer than 10 minutes for them to prep a room for surgery so time-wise you'd not be disadvantaged by being at home.

Perhaps he might educate himself about the risks of birthing in hospital and the risks of birthing at home. There is a perception within the general public that all babies birthed in hospitals are born survive and end up alive and well and that all mothers birthing in hospital survive birth and end up well but this simply isn't true. Birth has inherent risks and there are risks birthing in either environment.

So long as you are a healthy woman experiencing a healthy pregnancy and having a healthy baby the fact that you are anxious to birth in hospital and have expressed a wish to birth at home suggests that home is the best and safest place for you to birth. Fear will increase your adrenaline and therefor reduce your body's natural birthing helping hormones like oxytocin and greatly increase your pain - I'm sure your OH doesn't want that for you.

Has he done any research into homebirthing? Can he have a consultation with a midwife to address his concerns? Does he understand about the cascade of intervention in a hospital setting? Perhaps if he does some research he will stop coming up with unlikely scenarios and get to the nitty gritty of likely scenarios that he is afraid of and work through whatever fears he has surrounding homebirth based on logic not try to change your choice based on his fears.

I highly recommend getting the AIMS booklet on Home Birth for your husband to read. Honestly, I didn't have to say or do anything more to convince him to 'let' me have a homebirth. I think this publication is difficult to get a hold of now https://www.aims.org.uk/hbchoose.htm, replaced by Nicky Wesson's book (which is long and probably not appropriate for trying to convince a father-to-be), but AIMS have also published a book for dads on homebirth- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fathers-Home-Birth-Handbook/dp/190517750X

Hi, Sorry but I've not had time to read all the replies - I just wanted to recommend a book The Fathers Home Birth Guide

It really helped my husband get into the idea and was really informative for me too.

just wondering which part of surrey your in hun because HB care across Surrey is very different depending where you are. if your normally a 10 min drive then you would get an ambulance and into hospital in about the same amount of time if not less than it would take for them to get everything ready even if you were already there

This is exactly why we compromised to a birthing center (the equivalent being a MLU where you are). Its not quite home, but it is far less scary and far more custom than a hospital, but is still close enough to emergency help that my against-home-birth hubby can be happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->