Hubby might not be there...

rosegarden620

Reaction score
Has this ever happened to you or been a concern for you? Your partner not being there for the birth?

Hubby is in the fire/medical service and his FMLA (family medical leave) and PDO hasn't kicked in yet. After two years his FMLA kicks in and after one year his PDO. He is in month 8 of his orientation for this particularly county. HR says that his best bet is "talking to his lieutenant" and working something out. I know that that the family vibe from fire service is real and that they probably will be ok with it.
But, I'm trying to envision that outcome, and it's hard. But, as an emergency room nurse myself, I get the field and the hours and the commitment.

Still sucks though.

Wondering. If anybody had thoughts or experiences

Fmla is one year AND 1250 hours of work. If you're 18 weeks now you should be good with him having fmla benefits. But fmla is not paid leave so im not sure how much pdo he will have accumulated by then.

Here are the rules :

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/florida-family-medical-leave-laws.html

The clock doesn't start until his probationary period starts. He was still on orientation/boot camp until this Friday. So his probationary period starts now, called his "probie" year. PDO is approved at the beginning of the year for whole year and doesn't come into play until a year after his "official hire date". He was officially hired on feb 28. He was officially inducted into his union yesterday. So, he doesn't qualify in December when our baby is born. Thank you for the link and info though!!!

I didn't realize a company could do that. That's messed up :( but his lieutenant should be okay with him taking a few days off because of the birth of your baby. He would be an ass to not allow some personal days when the baby comes. Personally if I were your husband I would have a hard time working with someone who didn't care about my family. Hopefully he can sort things out. Sorry you have to deal with this stress.

Yea 😔 I feel the same way. I think we will be good. I mean the entire family industry is VERY VERY family oriented so I'm hoping they will come together as a family and get him out of their for his own family. As soon as he gets his assignment (station) we will know who his lieutenant is and can go from there.

Fingers crossed! B

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->