HUGE drop in supply from the Flu?

Mimzy3

Reaction score
Friday I came down with the influenza, not the stomach flu. No vomiting or diarrhoea but body aches, headache, and nausea. I exclusively pump so I know how much I make normally. I normally get 40oz a day, Friday 32, Sat 28, today has been HORRIBLE barely getting 1 oz from my normally dominate breast. What gives? Will my supply return? I'm actually feeling better today and my supply is the worst its been. Please help!!

It will return.
I had the stomach flu a little while ago and once I got my appetite back it took a couple days but I managed to get my supply back to normal :)

It will return.
I had the stomach flu a little while ago and once I got my appetite back it took a couple days but I managed to get my supply back to normal :)

Thank you, I really hope the same happens for me.

Glad you're starting to feel better. Dehydration is common during or after an illness, so maybe focus on drinking lots of water, or even gatorade to top up your electrolytes.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I had the stomach flu Thursday night into Friday and got dehydrated. My supply tanked! I am so worried about it. I've been BF as much as possible and taking 4 capsules of fenugreek 3 times a day. I've seen a slight increase since yesterday but nowhere near what ds needs. And tomorrow I return to work. I know I will be pumping as often as I can but there's not a whole lot of opportunity. I'm worried like you. Can it really return to normal or will it always be a struggle now? Hope someone can reassure us.

If you're not totally opposed to it, a dark beer or two can help boost supply.

I'll bet you're dehydrated if you have proper flu. Make yourself drink even more than usual.

I've been drinking tons of water and gatorade and I ate lots of calories yesterday and still low today :cry:

Yesterday I pumped a total of only 18oz I normally do 40oz! 18oz is not enough to feed my son. He ate 35oz yesterday. I'm having to depend on my freezer stash. Which I'm scared at this rate is going to be gone soon! I really pray my supply comes back I worked so hard to get it up and this exclusively breast pumping bussiness is so hard. It would be a shame to have it all go away because of one case of the flu!!! :growlmad:

Have you tried fenugreek? I woke up this morning with an abundance of milk. It has taken me 3 days of lots of hydration, LOTS of nursing and fenugreek 3 times a day. My supply seems to be back where it was. We'll see how today goes. I hope things turn out well. Hang in there. I refuse to give up.

Have you tried fenugreek? I woke up this morning with an abundance of milk. It has taken me 3 days of lots of hydration, LOTS of nursing and fenugreek 3 times a day. My supply seems to be back where it was. We'll see how today goes. I hope things turn out well. Hang in there. I refuse to give up.

So happy for you!! This gives me some hope!!! I'm on day two of very low supply. So i'm going to keep drinking lots of water, mother's milk tea, and I started taking this supplement called Mother's Love it has fenugreek in it and so does the mother's milk tea. So HOPEFULLY tomorrow mine will come back too....[-o<[-o<[-o<

Just keep trying. As the day goes on I'm noticing it's not quite where it was before (just really full when I woke up) but definitely a big increase from yesterday. I figure I'll do everything I can for a week (hard to do while at work). If it works, it works. If not, I made a wholehearted attempt. I'm also noticing that maybe the fenugreek is giving ds diarrhea? Not sure. I'm going to talk to ped today.

More milk plus drops are good too. It's basically super concentrated fenugreek. Much more than the tea has.

More milk plus drops are good too. It's basically super concentrated fenugreek. Much more than the tea has.

I spoke with my midwife yesterday she seems to think the fever is what made my supply drop so much. She told me to take Fenugreek 3 pills 3-4 times a day and to pump at lest every 3 hours. She said its not to late to get my supply back and that I should see results in 3-4 days. I hope so! Still VERY low, I had no improvement yesterday. But I think today I've seem some improvement in one of my breasts. The other one is still at only 1 oz per pump.

Luvmysunshine I think giving it your all for a week is a good idea I'm going to do the same. I hate that my freezer stash is dwindling away but at lest I have one to use I suppose. I hope yours returns to what it was soon. Please keep me updated!

I'm in the same boat! I'm recovering from stomach flu and my supply has dropped completely! I can barely get our 1oz where as before I could get 5 or 6oz out of one breast!
My LO is getting very frustrated and upset and so I'm having to use my freezer stash. Thank goodness I've got that!
I so hope my milk comes back I'm not ready to stop BF yet :nope:

I spoke with my midwife yesterday she seems to think the fever is what made my supply drop so much. She told me to take Fenugreek 3 pills 3-4 times a day and to pump at lest every 3 hours. She said its not to late to get my supply back and that I should see results in 3-4 days. I hope so! Still VERY low, I had no improvement yesterday. But I think today I've seem some improvement in one of my breasts. The other one is still at only 1 oz per pump.

Luvmysunshine I think giving it your all for a week is a good idea I'm going to do the same. I hate that my freezer stash is dwindling away but at lest I have one to use I suppose. I hope yours returns to what it was soon. Please keep me updated!

I'm seeing an increase from yesterday. I pumped 2 times at work and that was all I had time for. But at home, I constantly put him to my breast and I'm continuing the fenugreek, which has helped me in the past. I'm seeing a gradual but definite increase each day. Still drinking lots too. I think if I keep working at it I should be fine. Also before this I had an oversupply and very strong letdown. Perhaps now I'm producing just what I need instead of extra and I'm just not used to how that feels.

Today, 6 days since I started with a stomach virus I feel like my supply is back to where it was before. Still drinking lots and taking fenugreek 3 times a day. Will probably stop the fenugreek in a day or so. Hope you're seeing signs of improvement. Hang in there.

Today, 6 days since I started with a stomach virus I feel like my supply is back to where it was before. Still drinking lots and taking fenugreek 3 times a day. Will probably stop the fenugreek in a day or so. Hope you're seeing signs of improvement. Hang in there.

Great to hear - you give me hope. I bought some Fenugreek and have been OD'ing on that so fingers crossed I'll see a change soon.

Day 7, supply normal and discontinuing fenugreek. It took a week with persistence but I'm glad to say it can be done.

Day 7, supply normal and discontinuing fenugreek. It took a week with persistence but I'm glad to say it can be done.

yah congrats!:happydance:

Mine is still improving little by little every day so hopefully by Monday mine will be back to normal too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->