• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Humidifiers?

sojourn

Soon to have 2 under 2
Reaction score
I have heard both ways...that a humidifier is 100% needed, and that they are useless.

I live in Florida, so it is generally quite humid. However, that also means that our AC is on pretty much all the time (like right now!! :haha:) which does tend to dry out the air.

Can someone explain to me how and why these are used and if they are needed?

Do you mean during pregnancy or for the baby? Some parents like them for when the baby gets a cold/ upper respiratory infection but there's really no need for them especially if you live in a humid climate. They also can grow mold easily as they are often hard to clean so I skip it personally.

I have never heard of using them all thetime. I use them when I am sick or baby is sick, especially if the air is on and dry, but not just normally. Maybe if you lived in an extremely dry area, like next to a desert?

I live in a humid area too and I can't imagine using it everyday! Humidity makes me crazy though and like pp said I am always afraid of mold or bacteria breeding in humid areas. I actually am thinking of buying a DEhumidifier for the new house when I move soon. :)

It was an essential for me as a child. I suffered from terrible sinus infections and it was the only thing that stopped me from coughing all night.

The air in my house is very dry during the winter. The dryness causes sinus issues, red & itchy eyes that feel like dirt is lodged in them, cracked lips, chronically sore throats etc. It's hard to explain unless you've been in a really dry house. I believe babies are more sensitive to this.

Like others have said, we don't use ours all the time but when my older son was sick, it really helped him sleep at night. So in my experience they are necessary for that - helping with colds, especially in the winter when our air gets really dry. Other than that, its not needed all the time.

We have one we use all day. It's a whole house humidifier. It helps prevent dryness and seems to help everyone sleep better at night!

I live in Colorado. I probably wouldn't have used one all day if I still lived in Florida. :lol:

Thanks guys!
It's on my registry, so I'll probably leave it there. If I don't get it though, I'll probably wait a while on it. I think it will be useful when kids are sick or when the air/heat are working overtime in our house.

It still seems like a crazy buy since I basically live *in* a humidifier, but I can see the uses.

I prefer a vaporizer, it's silent whereas humidifiers are SO noisy! And the moisture from a vaporizer can carry eucalyptus, jasmine, or lavender depending on if oh & I are sick, stressed or just wanting a fresh smell. In Canada it's incredibly dry in the winters, when babies are born they can get dehydrated & sick with all of the dryness. From what my colleagues said it is essential to help them breath. If it helps my oh & I one can only assume a baby would benefit too.

I prefer a vaporizer, it's silent whereas humidifiers are SO noisy! And the moisture from a vaporizer can carry eucalyptus, jasmine, or lavender depending on if oh & I are sick, stressed or just wanting a fresh smell. In Canada it's incredibly dry in the winters, when babies are born they can get dehydrated & sick with all of the dryness. From what my colleagues said it is essential to help them breath. If it helps my oh & I one can only assume a baby would benefit too.

That does sound nice!!! The temp dropped here and we have been using the heater, so our house is really dry and I am kind of uncomfortable. I will look into a vaporizer though, I like the idea of being able to use different smells.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"