Humidity--carrier or stroller?

SpringCrane

Reaction score
We're traveling to a very humid area from our very arid home next week. I grew up with humidity, but haven't taken a young baby into it! We're usually just an Ergo family, but is a stroller more comfortable for baby/me? He's 4.5 months and best in the car seat attached to stroller. It does recline nearly flat, but it's forward facing only and no vents in sides/canopy.

We use it so rarely I didn't plan to bring it, but thought I'd check what's best. We'll be doing a beach trip, amusement park, and visiting family homes. I'd only bring it if it's definitely worth it. There's already too much to lug through the airport!

I would probably just bring the Ergo and then plan for both of you to dress lightly. When my daughter was that age, we used a wrap and an Ergo and also a pushchair. I always found she got much more overheated in the pushchair because there was so little ventilation. The wrap or carrier tended to work best in hot weather, as long as you dress cooly enough.

I haven't taken Isla anywhere very humid, but when she was 10 weeks old it was winter here in Canada and we took her to Mexico where it was obviously much hotter than she was used to. I couldn't use the ergo at all because she would overheat instantly. We took a small frame stroller that the car seat clipped onto which was super handy because it was very light and folded flat, and if we decided to walk somewhere and then needed to take a cab we always had the car seat with us. She did get hot in the car seat but we got some gel ice packs and would put them behind the car seat back rest and that helped, the back rest was plenty thick enough so she didn't get too cold but we still checked it obsessively to make sure! We would also pull her out and carry her for a bit if she got hot, then pop her back in her seat if she got sleepy. We covered the stroller with a thin muslin blanket which kept the sun off her but still allowed some air flow. She lived in just a diaper the entire time we were down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->